"I want a cat," Abel said and showed me the screen on his laptop

"I want a cat," Abel said and showed me the screen on his laptop. "This one. Look at it. It needs a home."

A picture of a three-legged cat showed up from an adoption site. It did look awfully cute. Scruffy and only had one-and-a-half ear. A very cute kitten.

"Let's go get it then." I rose to my feet.

Abel looked almost dumbfounded up at me from his position on his sofa. "Am... I allowed?"

"Who's gonna say no?" I shrugged a bit, and he did too.

"Alright, yeah. Yeah!" He nodded and rose too.

So, we went to the animal shelter to get Abel the three-legged kitten. It was a scruffy little thing, but it immediately crawled towards the much larger boy and settled in his hands. It was so small it fit in the palm. Abel looked like he was about to die from happiness as I helped fill out the adoption forms for him. He had his hands full with the kitten which he chose to name Gary. It perked its one-and-a-half ear whenever he said "Gary", so he took it as a sign of it choosing that name. Didn't matter that the kitten was female, her name was now Gary.

It was ridiculously cute to observe him as we drove back to his. He was holding the kitten who had fallen asleep, and he had let me drive his car. It was fun to drive and even more fun when we arrived at home and Abel walked Gary through the whole flat.

On the way to the shelter, we had bought everything a little kitten could want. A big scratching tree, that was more like a castle, with little rooms and a hammock.

We sat on the couch and watched Gary walk around and then she circled back to us. I held my hand out for her to smell and she immediately hissed at me and ran under the couch.

"I guess she can smell the wolf on me," I muttered. "Cats usually don't like me much. Dogs on the other hand are totally my biggest fans."

"She'll realise you're an absolute sweetheart at some point," Abel said and smiled at me.

He thought I was an absolute sweetheart? I couldn't stop smiling and I was sure my cheeks were redder than a fire-truck.

It was as if he realised what he had just said and made a weird grimace. "What I meant was... You're really nice. No, you're a sweetheart. If you like that term."

I leaned in and kissed him just to bail him out. And because if he kept complimenting me, I'd probably die from melting.

"I guess you did like the term," he murmured against my lips, smiling so I could feel his teeth.

I kissed him again, running my hand up in his hair. He had really awesome hair. Very soft. I was jealous.

He exhaled loudly and pushed me down on the couch, him on top of me, the leather creaking under us. I hadn't really planned for that to happen, but I welcomed it. Whether it'd turn into more or not, didn't really matter. I enjoyed this. And quite frankly, I had enjoyed dating before moving on too. Like holding hands and kissing was nice, getting to know Abel was even nicer. There also wasn't that pressure to look absolutely perfect and be perfect right from the get-go. I should've dated more before jumping into bed with people in the past, I realised. It was just nicer.