Chapter 8: Some Kind of Dinner

It's hard letting your guard down, Alex remarked silently to himself. Even as far as being friends, or letting him know I struggle to do so. While a part of him is screaming for him to just confess his feelings to Magnus already, another part of him says that the walls he has put up are there for a reason. When you open yourself up to love, you open yourself up to pain, and even though he's willing to admit that he has a crush on Magnus, Alex's not sure if he's ready to risk having his heart broken all over again by this boy yet.

Alex feels heavy, and not just because of the bag he was carrying, his little nostalgic session this morning weighed down on him like lead, not to mention the fact that Alex Fierro is not a feelings person. At any rate, he was still looking forward to their dinner this evening, while it wasn't quite exactly a date, and again he's not quite sure yet how he feels about Magnus, it was a welcome change to the monotony his life has fallen into after a while at school. With him, it's always about doing something new or trying something different, Alex could never stay in one place for long. It's not exactly hyperactivity, just, this slight urge to switch it up. Which isn't all that weird, considering he himself is the physical embodiment of change.

------

"Are you ok, Alex?" Magnus asked after noticing Alex's normally cheerful demeanor not showing itself today.

"I'm fine," replied Alex "I was just thinking."

Magnus raised an eyebrow in mock curiosity, "You can think?" Alex gave him a really? Look and playfully punched his arm. Magnus held onto his expression a while longer before finally breaking into a laughing fit, Alex joined him soon after.

"But," he said after he caught his breath. "If you need to get something off your chest, I'm more than happy to listen."

"Thank you, Magnus, it means more than you think." Alex's smile sent Magnus's heart on a double backflip.

"It's the least I could do after last night Alex, it's the least I could do." Magnus sighed dreamily as he shifted his gaze to the floor. Gosh, Alex is just so cute, sometimes I really doubt if he's not an angel. Because I really feel like I'm in heaven every time he shoots me one of those smiles. I'm not sure how long I can stand this. I might die from over-exposure to Alex Fierro!

On the other side of the conversation, Alex was also having an internally screaming moment. Oh my gawdddd!!!!! I can't believe he's offering to listen to me! I mean, that's what friends are for, but I wished he would offer it as my boyfriend.

They walked the rest of the way to school in comforting silence, both thinking of each other. Arriving in time for Art class. The teacher, Mr. Johnson, came in right after the bell rang. They all called him ol' Grumpy because this guy had a frown about him that seems to be wearing him more than he wears it. "Ok class," He spoke. "After pottery, today we're going to be doing oil color painting." Alex snorted.

He didn't sound too happy. Magnus thought, he spared a glance over at Alex, And neither is he. Alex seems to be just as grumpy, probably from the fact that the pottery portion of the course is gonna be over, Magnus decided. I mean, he still has a Pottery elective next period so I don't understand why he's grumpy, Magnus thought . Mr. Johnson droned on, but Magnus didn't really hear him, as he was lost in thought, looking to the future on a lot of things, but one in particular: His mind kept drifting to the dinner he and Alex will be getting together this evening, he was really looking forward to it. I mean who wouldn't be? Alex's at worst incredibly attractive, and today he was acting downright irresistible. And despite how he was a bit cold when they first met, now that they know each other better, he finds Alex very enjoyable to talk to and be around, especially after last night.