TWENTY THREE

(CHAPTER 23 - SKIN DEEP)

🦢🗡

Flashback

At Maurice's castle, Belle, Gaston, Maurice and several others were studying a map of nearby regions.

"Sir, there's news from the battlefield. Avonlea has fallen," A steward said as he walked in.

"Oh, my gods..." Maurice said.

"If only he had come..." Gaston said.

"Well he didn't, did he?" Maurice crossed the room, "Ogres are not men," Maurice said as he sat on his throne.

"We have to do something, we have to stop them," Gaston said as Belle crossed the room to her father.

"They are...unstoppable," Maurice said.

"He could be on his way right now, Papa," Belle said.

"It's too late, my girl. It's just...too late," Maurice said when there was a loud bang at the door.

"That's him! That has to be him!" Belle said as everyone approached the door.

"How could he get past the walls? Open it!" Maurice said and some guards opened the door, revealing no one standing in the hall.

Rumplestiltskin appeared sitting on Maurice's throne, "Well, that was a bit of a let down!" they all turned to him, "You sent me a message, something about, 'Help! Help! We're dying. Can you save us?", Gaston drew his sword and pointed it at him, "Well the answer is..." Rumplestiltskin smacked the blade away, "Yes, I can. Yes, I can protect your little town...for a price," Rumplestiltskin said.

"We sent you a promise of gold," Maurice said.

"Ah...now, you see, um...I uh...make gold. What I want is something a bit more special. My price...is her," Rumplestiltskin said as he pointed to Belle.

"No," Maurice said.

Gaston shielded Belle with his arm, "The young lady is engaged...to me," Gaston said.

"I wasn't asking if she was engaged. I'm not looking for love! I'm looking for a caretaker...for my rather large estate. It's her, or no deal," Rumplestiltskin said.

"Get out," Maurice pointed to the door, "Leave!" Maurice demanded and Gaston pulled Belle back with his arm.

Rumplestiltskin walked to the door, "As you wish," Rumplestiltskin said.