Prologue

I slowly stood out of the car, trembling. "Mother..?" I whispered, and walking on unsteady legs, I turned to see her, barely breathing, lying on the road with glass and blood all around her. Memories flooded back to me as I remembered how the crash had happened, and how I heard my brother scream. What's his na- Oh no.. What's his name!? Why can't I remember his name!!' I thought urgently to myself. "Why can't I remember his name..?" I managed to mumble. I wanted to run, and hide in the tall pine tree at our farm.. but I was frozen in place and couldn't think straight enough to grab my phone and call an ambulance for my mum. I was terrified, of losing mum, of never seeing my brother again, but I knew that I had to run. 

I knew that if I wasn't fast enough, they would find me. I started to run, I could feel the gravel crunching under my feet. Where I was running to, I didn't know. I darted in between the many lanes of speeding vehicles before jumping over the barrier and sprinting through the thick layer of pine needles covering the ground like a blanket.  

Soon, I am deep in the thick animal infested forest. I slow my pace down to a walk, carefully stepping over the trunk of a fallen pine tree. Now, I look for a place to rest, preferably close to a river or another source of running water. I continue to walk until I approach a steep bank. I scurry down the bank, trying not to trip over a few small ledges. Eventually, I reach the bottom. Despite knowing that if I fall asleep under a tree without hiding myself, they are highly likely to find me, I choose an oddly tall pine tree to rest under.

First of all, I scoop up some dry old pine needles to help make a fire. I grab two rocks sitting beside me and start hitting them together to hopefully create a spark. After hitting the rocks together for what felt like hours, there had still been no spark. Although I was cold and drenched from the rain, I continued to attempt to make the fire. I clashed the rocks together over and over and over again, until eventually I was so drowsy that I could barely keep myself awake. My eyelids fluttered closed as the darkness consumed me.