chapter one ✧ y/n

Y/N heard the door shut and the soft patter of feet from where she sat on the living room couch. She smiled at the image of Camila pulling off her shoes and walking across the floor to find Y/N.

"The key I gave you was for emergencies, not so you can randomly drop in whenever you like,"
Y/N told her with a smile, her eyes not leaving the TV.

"Oh, please," Camila waved off. "You love when I randomly drop in." She plopped down next to
Y/N on the couch, putting her feet up on the glass coffee table. Y/N glanced over at her toes just barely hooked on the edge, her legs too short to properly rest on the table. "Bob's Burgers again?" Camila asked after noticing what was on the TV.

"Always." Y/N grabbed the remote and paused the show. "So, what's wrong?"

"Does something have to be wrong for me to show up?"

"Well, no. But I can tell by your face that something is bothering you."

Camila chewed on her lip for a few seconds. "I got into a fight with Matthew. Well...I don't even know if it was a fight. It was more that he was mad at me and I was trying to think of what to say."

"What was it about?" Y/N turned so she was now fully facing her friend, giving her her full attention.

"What is it always about?" Camila asked redundantly with a sigh.

"He needs to learn to take no for an answer."

"He asked me if he proposed if I would change my mind."

Y/N paused. "Would you?"

"No," Camila shook her head. "Not being married isn't the reason I don't want to have kids right now. It's just like...I'm recording right now and then promo and then tour, it's just not the time." She closed her mouth before she could say anything else. It seemed she was debating on if she should say what she wanted to say next. "I don't...It's not just that." Y/N waited patiently for her to continue. "I can picture having kids, you know? I can see myself raising them and throwing birthday parties for them. And I can picture you spoiling them," they both laughed. "What I can't picture though, is having kids with him, with Matthew." Camila let out a deep sigh like she was relieved at finally getting that off her chest. "He would be a great dad, but...not with me. And I feel horrible about that."

"Why do you feel horrible?"

"Because when we started dating, he told me he wanted kids in the future and I said I did too."

"Yeah, but you also said you're not ready right now. You said 'future' for a reason."

"That was, like, a year and a half ago."

"So? There's no time limit on when you can be ready."

"I just feel like I've wasted his time if now I tell him I don't want kids."

"Camila, no." Y/N lowered her head to meet Camila's gaze. "Never feel like you've wasted his time. Because you didn't. At all."

"I did." Camila insisted. "If I had said originally that I didn't want kids, he would have walked away ahead of time."

"But that's not true. You do want kids. Just not with him. And you couldn't have known that without being with him." Camila didn't look too convinced. "Okay, look, the time he spent with you wasn't 'wasted'. It still means something. And when you tell him, it's his decision on what to do."

"Tell him what? That I do want kids, just not with him? I can't do that."

"Just tell him you don't think you'll ever be ready to have kids. I don't really like the guy, but he deserves honesty."