Schedule To Follow

The walk to the small stand was nerve racking.

Let's get one thing straight, you only know this man because he's a friend of your deceased parent. It's only out of habit that you make him your friend. He understood that, he knew exactly what he was getting into.

He always did.

You think maybe that's why your dad was such good friends with him. Why he approached him first. He knew what he wanted, he knew how he wanted it, and he knew how to get it. That's what you dad saw. It had to be.

That's what you saw first.

"Ah, there you are! I thought maybe you stood me up."

You looked over, pulled from your thoughts. You boss approached you. "Heh heh, what? Like I'd stand up a handsome man like you." You teased. He chortled and directed you to sit at one of the tables.

"I already ordered. How do you feel about a walking taco, but sitting?" He asked with a small smile. "Sounds good."

Awkward silence.

For a few seconds.

"So," you broke it, "how long did you know my dad?" Your voice was cracking. "Well, about two decades. We met in college. Believe it or not, your dad was actually trying to go for some political degree when he started out. That's how we met." He explained with a smile that implied he was reminiscing. You couldn't help but see a bit of yourself in him. You would reminisce yourself, so much that it was enough to put you in rehab.

"What's that little thing your dad built? The dusty cleaner vacuum thing?" He asked before grabbing his handkerchief and coughing into it.

Your food was here.

"Dust Bunny, his name is Dust Bunny. We just call him Dusty." You stated. He nodded and put his handkerchief back. You swallowed the salvia sitting in your mouth. You took a generous sip of your (Favorite Drink). He took a bite of his food. "Ya know," you said, "mom swore you and dad were having an affair. Mind giving my confirmation?" You asked and took a bite of your food. He laughed and the coughed lightly. You smiled lightly. "I'm not gonna say we weren't."

You laughed loudly and tried to muffle it.

Your both spoke about things, laughing every now and then.

Something told you that no matter what you said, he'd have something to say about it or to it. This was how old friends conversed.

Two strangers meeting again for the first time. You wouldn't have it any other way.

It was in this moment that you realized why there's a daycare run by you. It was for his friend and himself. He'd deny it, and say that it wasn't for himself, but he'd be lying.

Yet, something says it was for you. It was for specifically you and no one else. And something about that made you feel a certain way. It made you think of dads smile.

You thought of your dads blueprints that he'd rambled about, and how he would build it, but you also remembered how you helped him write those blueprints. The finishing touches that pulled the whole thing together filled with happiness and childish imagination. This daycare was built from yours and your dads design.

"Hey," you looked up from your empty plate. "Hm?" He asked and took a sip of Diet Coke. "um, the blueprints to the daycare, can I have them? I want to look at them."

"You can have them. You are in charge of the daycare." He stated with no hesitation. You smiled as he winked at you. "Well, times up. You get back to your job. I'm leaving early, got a doctor appointment." He stated. He patted your head and sent you back. "See ya later, kid."