Zeus And Hera Have A Heart-To-Heart

Once the chapter ended most of the crowd dispersed into different sections of the room to speak with each other about the latest development. Though Zeus had planned on speaking with his daughter Thalia, he was suddenly aware of his wife who was trying to reach her first. Deciding to avoid a conversation that could involve him, Hera and his daughter, he ran up behind Hera and lightly pulled her away from everyone.

"What's gotten into you?" Zeus asked his wife once they were alone. "You've been more affectionate during these last chapters than I've ever seen you."

Hera turned to glare at him. "I'm merely correcting my past wrongdoings. We are reading a book about a young boy and girl who have had their family ripped away from them at a young age. As the goddess of family, I have failed so many times but we will see that my inability to give these children a good home will probably impact them for the rest of their lives. We are going to read about your children's struggles and all the evil's that I have done. So yes, I am trying to mend relationships because I'm guilty of treating innocent gods and demigods like trash because of your actions."

"Hera...."

"No. Don't say that you're sorry because I have come to accept that your words are as worthless as the ground we walk on. You've betrayed me, over and over, and watched from your cheating pleasure as our marriage fell to Tartarus. You built up my heart and made me believe that you actually cared for me before shattering it on the ground by getting woman after woman pregnant. You took what was sacred to me- which was marriage, if you didn't know- and tossed it aside for some mortal which makes you the biggest traitor of all."

Zeus stood shocked as his wife exploded, though his first instinct was to lash out to defend himself, he instead took a few deep breaths and waited a couple seconds. "That was... quite a lot."

"It's only the truth and if you can't recognise that then you have no business calling yourself my husband though these days I'm pretty sure you've been calling me a lot of other names." She snapped angrily and attempted to storm away.

However, Zeus grabbed her arm and spun her close to him, ignoring her cries of frustration and surprise. "Wait, we should talk about this. I'm pretty sure that everyone in this room is going to be portrayed as some heartless villain at some point so maybe I should start trying to make amendments before we get to that stage? My first task should be to say I'm sorry to someone I've loved since I first saw them."

"Let me go" She demanded, trying to yank her arm away. "I know you mean it now but we're gods, soon enough you're going to need more than me and that sweet statement is going to be totally forgotten about."

"But I love you!" Zeus exclaimed loudly before glancing down, shocked at his own daring.

Hera nodded sadly, "I know you do but I hate every time you come home expecting me to be a lovingly perfect wife even after you've had your disgusting fun with another woman, I hate the way you've lifted your bastard children like Hermes, Artemis, Apollo, Dionysus and Athena up to the status of Olympian when only one of our three children have ever made it that far, I hate how everyone is terrified to say one wrong word about you so your ego grows stronger and bigger with each passing year, I hate the way your eyes twinkle when you smile because it's been so long since I've been the reason for it and I hate the way you're able to bring me down without even saying a word because I'm a queen for gods sakes, I'm the reason for happy marriages and for my own one is failing."

He groaned, he was trying to play nice and she was completely ruining all of his attempts at being civil. It was infuriating the way she managed to get under his skin, even when he wasn't actually doing anything wrong and was trying to apologise. "Why must you be so angry? It's no wonder I find comfort in other women when you act like such an out of control demon who has escaped from Hades' palace." Zeus growled, releasing her arm and giving her a light shove backwards.

"I'm trying to show you why I feel this way!" She argued, rubbing her elbow gently from where he had gripped it. "Every time I see you with someone else my heart shatters a little more."

"But I only bed them once or twice! Never more than that because it is you I always come back to! It is you who I want as my wife for eternity."

Hera shrugged and laughed bitterly, "Is that feeble attempt of comfort supposed to help me? Or is it just a way for you to clear your conscience?"

"I love you." He replied, stretching out a hand. "Though I'm not always amazing at showing it, I swear it's the honest truth. I've loved you every millennium we've experienced, I've loved you through every argument and every tear, I love you."

Against her better nature, she grasped it. Tightly. It had been so long since he had offered physical contact instead of harsh words that brought tears to her eyes and had her running away from their shared palace and down to her private garden. She was tired of fighting and the warmth of his hand was inviting and so comforting that she almost forgot what they had been talking about. Though she would regret it later, Hera leaned into his embrace, placing her head upon his chest to hear the steady thrum of his heartbeat.

"I love you." She whispered softly, nearly inaudible to anyone who didn't have the hearing of a god. "But I worry it simply isn't enough."