Naya smiles.
"Actually, this is my favourite movie. I've even written about it in a magazine. Anyway, it's 9 to 5. Dolly Parton."
"I've never watched it."
"I'm sure you haven't, fancy pants. What do girls like you watch?"
"Our empires grow."

Naya breaks into laughter.
"Think you'd settle for this?"
"I think I might."

Sophie settles in as Naya snatches the quilt off her bed and throws it onto their laps. Naya opens the wine up and takes a sip.
"Oh, that tastes like shit. Hope your palate can handle it."
"I think I'll be fine," Sophie snorts.
A floor above the girls, things aren't quite so calm.

"Fuck, fine," Vince groans, cutting another four lines.
"Just remember, I bought this. Someone else is covering costs next time."
"Whatever," Tommy shrugs, leg jiggling as if he were playing his kick drum.
Nikki sighs, wishing he was shitfaced with the band. It would be hard to catch up to them now.

"No, man. I'm serious. Savour it."
"Yuh-huh, let me have at it then."
Tommy pushes Vince aside but Vince shoves him right back. Mick rolls his eyes.

"What was that for? You're acting like you wanna hurt me, fucker." Tommy adds a laugh as an afterthought, hoping Vince won't take away the coke.
"Maybe I do."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah!"

As their voices rise, Nikki escapes to the balcony once again.
Except this time there is nobody to talk to, nobody to pester. He notices a flickering luminance in Sophie's room. If he leans just far enough over the edge, he can see in.
She appears to be sitting on the floor next to a girl with a familiar face, perhaps a journalist?

They laugh at something and Nikki silently observes the happy lift of Sophie's lips and cheeks.
She is freakishly sexy with a mean pout, but beautiful with a smile. Her changed expression tugs at something in him. Is this the first time he'd seen her genuinely smile?
He'd never made her smile like that.
He'd only ever been mean.

Regret sinks into his stomach like a steely anchor. What if things were different? What if he hadn't spilled that coffee on her pretty dress? What if he'd just smiled and said "Sorry, my bad" when they'd bumped into each other instead of jumping to squabble?

He leans on the railings, resting his chin on his arms as he watches her move and chatter very much unlike the girl he's grown used to.
Except for the time she took ecstasy at his joint. But she would never forgive him for that even though he firmly believes it was her fault.

A loud crash jolts Nikki from his thoughts, dumping him back into reality. He looks over his shoulder to find Vince and Tommy on the floor, scrabbling for the upper hand, wrestling like two thrashing alligators.
Tommy's knobbly elbow knocks over a lamp and it smashes to bits, making Mick wince.

Nikki knows that they fight like brothers, it'll be over soon enough. When it's over and they'll be back to calling each other "bro" and "dude" and "Barbie" and "T-Bone".
Except they're both strong and they tend to break stuff. Doc will pay for it and they'll all get yelled at. Rinse and repeat.

"Wanna order something up?" Nikki asks as he walks back in. Mick nods, leaning against the wall.
"Yes please. Starved."
"Whaddaya want, Mars?"
Nikki would never admit it, but he doesn't mind taking care of Mick. Not that he needs anyone to do it, Nikki just enjoys it.
Mick had always felt like a much older brother, always being judgmental and moody, but he looks out for everyone.
Mick knows Nikki doesn't pity him, that's why he lets Nikki pick up his keys when his back won't bend that far and plug in his amp once he's already sat down to save him the bother. But Nikki is never soft on Mick, he gets the same treatment as the other boys. And for that, Mick is eternally grateful.