chapter 7: 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐟𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐨𝐧𝐨𝐫

C H A P T E R  S E V E NAN AFFAIR OF HONOR┈ˋˏ༻❁༺ˎˊ┈

C H A P T E R S E V E N
AN AFFAIR OF HONOR
┈ˋˏ༻❁༺ˎˊ┈

C H A P T E R  S E V E NAN AFFAIR OF HONOR┈ˋˏ༻❁༺ˎˊ┈

┈ˋˏ༻❁༺ˎˊ┈

Anthony had brought Daphne back home, her face flushed with the remnants of stolen passion, and now he stood in the dimly lit entrance hall. He exchanged a silent acknowledgement with Humboldt, the butler, at his side. "Thank you, Humboldt. No need to send anyone up." He said, his voice low and measured.

Once Humboldt went back toward his corridor, He looked at his sister and began, his voice strained with concern. "I want you to know I am not angry with you. I do not blame you for what transpired" He assured her.

Daphne, her hair disheveled, and her face flushed, fixed her eyes firmly on her brother, retorted, "Do not treat me like a child. I did this."

"He took advantage of you," he declared.

"No less than I took liberties with him." she said softly.

"You do not understand I–" His voice cracked with regret, feeling anger and disappointment at himself, "I should have protected you better. I knew his true nature from the start." he confessed.

Daphne's patience wore thin. "You think that just because I am a woman, I am incapable of making my own choices? Is that it, brother?" She said with frustration, glaring at him as the tension in the air grew thicker. "Do you even care that Simon has dishonored me, as you say, or is it your own male pride that you seek to satisfy?" She fired back.

Anthony's expression grew sterner, and he knew that it was time to put an end to the argument. "You are to go on up to bed." He said as he walked past her.

But Daphne was not finished. "You cannot duel him!" She yelled as she turned around. "It is illegal, to name but one reason. You could both be arrested, let alone killed." Daphne's eyes filled with defiance, "There must be another way." She whispered.

"What would you have me do?" His eyes filled with concern and approached his sister. He shook his head lightly, "I do not take this decision lightly, but this is the way things are handled amongst gentlemen. If this were to become known—"