𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑰𝑿

꧁~~~Davos Seaworth~~~꧂
꧁~~~300 After Conquest~~~

His warm breath showed in the cool night air, his fingers—or the phantoms that replaced them—felt like they were being pinched by the cold. Davos had rarely ever felt this cold in his life. Maybe when he had once sailed to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, yes, but that was a long time ago. Before Stannis. Before Stannis was being torn between two different sides, between two people whispering in his right ear and his left.

"Still awake, Lord Seaworth?"

Came the voice of the man himself as Davos turned away from the sea at the helm of the ship, turning and looking behind him as Stannis. Loyally, Davos bowed his head and began to kneel, but Stannis motioned him to rise, shaking his head.

"We're alone, are we not?"

"It's a show of respect, I've always been told. Especially for the King of Westeros."

"I am king of a few thousand men and a few dozen ships, Davos. Nothing else. For now."

Stannis shook his head, always with the grim expression ever present as he made his way beside Davos, leaning on the railing of the ship as his continued along the calm, cool waves of the sea.

"Lots of stars tonight, Your Grace."

"Small talk was never your forte, Davos. But aye, yes. Plenty of stars. That Red Woman you so despise has mentioned it also."

"And what are her thoughts on them?"

Davos asked, looking at Stannis beside him as the man only gazed up at the night sky, staring at the thousands of small little lights that seem so far away, yet so close all at once. Shrugging a little, Stannis shook his head.

"Riddles, she keeps speaking. She told me I must look to the fires more often, and that I will find the star I seak."

"You seak out a star? A constellation, perhaps?"

"Something of the sorts. Was my guess as well."

The King pinched his brow, sighing heavily. In the two weeks they have been sailing since departing from Dragonstone, the King had seemed leaner. Appeared to be eating less, his hair turning gray as a gloomy day. His beard had been unkempt, parts of it looked trimmed while others looked long and grown out. The Red Witch, Davos thought with disdain, nearly scoffing. She had more than likely using anything from Stannis' body for her Lord of Light. King's blood, King's hair, what's next?

"I still believe, Your Grace, we would have less losses and more gains if you turn from her dark magic."

"Fewer."

Stannis remarked blankly, and Davos raised an old brow.

"What?"

"Never your mind.."

Stannis sighed once more, looking out across the sea once again. He couldn't make eye contact with Davos for too long, it seemed. Davos could tell within his eyes that he really was struggling. But Stannis would never say so.