The Hospital

It was very cold, it was December, there were lots of snow, and Christmas lights were everywhere all over New York City. Mayor Shelbourne had flown in early this morning. The skyscrapers looked beautiful from the plane. The air was icy cold. He then arrived at the hospital, it was all decorated for Christmas as well, there was a Christmas tree put up.

He took the elevator up a few floors to where the babies were taken care of. Ah yes, Mr Shelbourne there you are! A doctor had greeted him. So your now a father congratulations! Yes, Thankyou mayor Shelbourne replied. He really just wanted to get his son, so he could make his way back to swallow falls.

I am also terribly sorry to hear about your loss. The baby's mother, sadly didn't really have any family to mourn her of her passing. She was extremely ill. Said the doctor. On the bright side though your baby is looking good! The mother had already signed the document for the acknowledgment of paternity before her passing. We'll have you sign it as well while you're here. We'll also need you to fill out the birth certificate, we wanted to give the baby a name tag but, we didn't have a specific name.

Did you have a name in mind? Asked the doctor. Mayor Shelbourne thought for a moment. He did have a few names in mind. Gil. He said to the doctor. Gillington Shelbourne. Okay great! I'll just have you fill this out then I will go upstairs where all the newborns are to get your son. We call all the babies who were born in December Christmas babies! I see, mayor Shelbourne replied.

Some time later:

After filling out the birth certificate mayor Shelbourne turned it in to be sent to the swallow falls health center, and he sat down on a bench in the hospital and waited. He looked out the window and looked at the big city below. After a few minutes he began to feel somewhat nervous.

What would he be nervous about? It's not like he wanted a child anyway, this was an accident, and he would make sure that this child of his will be his ONLY child, and his last, and that would be final. He would make sure this would never happen again. This will be the only child he will ever have, that was for sure.

Suddenly, the elevator doors opened back up, and out came the doctor the with baby. Mayor Shelbourne stood up immediately a bit nervous on what he was about to see. Then there he was, a beautiful baby boy, wrapped up in blankets with a winter beanie. The doctor gently placed the baby in Mayor Shelbourne's arms.

Mayor Shelbourne looked down at his newborn son, he could see a small swirl of very light ginger hair mixed with gold under the winter beanie

Mayor Shelbourne looked down at his newborn son, he could see a small swirl of very light ginger hair mixed with gold under the winter beanie. He was sleeping. His eyes were closed. Mayor Shelbourne took a minute to study his new baby. He could already see some resemblance. He had many mixed emotions. He gently stroked the baby's cheek with the back of his hand, holding him in the other.

By the way, Mr. Shelbourne, I understand that you are the mayor of a small island called swallow falls, in the middle of the atlantic. When do you plan on returning home with your son? I plan on flying back tonight. Mayor Shelbourne replied. Oh I see. Well, I would say just keep your distance some at the airport, babies don't have strong immunity as they are unexposed to germs. Said the doctor.

Then suddenly the baby opened his eyes, mayor Shelbourne looked down at his son. He had the bluest eyes he had ever seen. Gil's icy blue eyes looked into his father's eyes. Well, hello there little Gil! Said the doctor. Welcome to the world little one! Well I guess you should be on your way since you two will be flying home tonight.

Yes my taxi is waiting for me outside. Alright, make sure you keep that little one warm, it's definitely very cold out. Also have you brought any diapers, baby bottles, or formula? We had just fed him, but he will need to be fed again very soon. Said the doctor. Yes I did thankyou, replied Mayor Shelbourne. It was already almost time for the airport. Alright little Gil, I hope you have a great life! Said the doctor.

Mayor Shelbourne walked back to the elevator, with Gil in his arms, and went down to the first floor. He looked down at his baby. He fell asleep again, good. Maybe I'll be lucky and he will stay that way on the plane. The elevator opened back up and mayor Shelbourne walked down the hall and out into the icy air and got back into the taxi.

He told the driver to take him to the airport, and they were on their way. Mayor Shelbourne sat in the taxi, with little Gil wrapped in blankets in his arms. He held Gil close to his chest to try and keep him warm. It was freezing in New York City, as it was December. It will be slightly warmer in swallow falls but unfortunately not that much warmer. It was practically winter after all. It was still going to be very cold there too. It would be dark in a few hours.

Mayor Shelbourne watched as Gil let out a tiny stretch. So far he hasn't cried at all, though he knew that he would eventually get hungry and probably cry. A little while later they arrived to the airport. It was definitely busy since Christmas was coming, and people were traveling a lot this time of year. A nice airport worker carried mayor Shelbourne's travel bag for him as he held his son close.

Some time later:

Getting through security was definitely a hassle, but mayor Shelbourne finally made his way to the gate of his plane with his baby in his arms, with a little help of an airport worker. Is there anything else you need sir? No that's it. Alright well, safe travels and merry Christmas! Said the worker as he walked off.

Now all Mayor Shelbourne had to do was wait here another hour for the plane to board. He made sure he got first class like he always does on a plane. Then suddenly Gil began to squeal and squirm around in his arms. Oh dear.. Gil began to get fussy. What was wrong? Did he need a diaper change? Was he hungry? He panicked a bit as this was his first time handling his crying son.

Mayor Shelbourne couldn't explain it, but he had a gut feeling that Gil was hungry. Luckily he brought newborn formula with him. He reached into the travel bag with one arm, the other holding the baby, and got out a bottle. He learned how to use these after he found out Gil was born. He fixed up the bottle, and lowered it to his son in his arms.

Gil was happily feeding from the bottle. Mayor Shelbourne just hoped this would keep him quiet for a while. After awhile it was time for first class to board the plane. Mayor Shelbourne made his way to his seat on the plane, holding little Gil in his arms. Luckily there wasn't anyone sitting next to him. It's not like many people go to a tiny island in the Atlantic that runs by sardines anyway. Well here we go, off to swallow falls.