"Are you okay?" She whispered and moved closer, but he slapped her hand away. "Ben, are you okay?"

"While your kind heart is admirable," Reginald started. "You would not wish to care for a real-life opponent."

(Y/N) straightened and turned to her father. "Ben and I are not real-life opponents. At the end of the day, he is my brother, and I will always care for him," She glanced at the rest of her siblings, who seemed disinterested in what she had to say, aside from Sloane. "I'll always care for all of them."

Reginald gave her a pleased smile, a smile Ben couldn't stand to see directed towards her. With a grunt, he stood to his feet and stomped out of the room. (Y/N) sighed and took her place in the line again as Reginald turned his attention to them. "Remember, children, we never know what we're truly capable of until we're forced to confront our own extinction."

"And as their sensei, it is my job to make sure they never have to." Pogo dared, stepping up to him.

"Then you overestimate yourself." Reginald looked over at his Sparrows. "Children, leave us."

Everyone's worried gazes were on Pogo. And while Marcus was also worried, they were commanded to leave. "Let's go, guys." He motioned. Hesitantly, they all filed out with Marcus being the last, sliding the doors closed with a deep breath.

"They're not ready." Pogo frowned.

"Nobody's ever truly ready." Reginald shook his head.

"Sending them to the other side now would be suicide."

"You've grown too attached, my old friend. Lost your objectivity."

"And you've grown so detached, you've lost your humanity."

Reginald smiled in amusement. "What humanity?"

At that, Pogo tilted his head down. There was no way to talk him out of this. "I won't let you hurt them."

"Won't let me?" He snapped. "You forget yourself, Pogo. They're my children. And they will do whatever it is I ask of them. If you disapprove, perhaps you might find other employment."

"I can be gone by morning."

"Why wait? You can be gone in an hour."

The chimp took a deep breath, heart shattering as he left the room. An hour later, the Sparrows were lined up near the front doors of the house. Sloane was freely crying while Alphonso tried his best to keep his tears at bay. Ben sadly looked down at him, his hand holding (Y/N)'s for comfort behind his back.

Pogo reached out and held her other hand for just a moment. She looked up and her glossy eyes met his, a proper goodbye. She had no idea the history the two of them had. Now she may never will.

He let her hand go and stopped in front of Marcus, holding a box out to him just as Reginald walked out of the room. Marcus took the box into his hands and opened it, four groups of different colored pills neatly lined up inside. When he looked up, Pogo gently patted his arm before continuing on. Fei bowed her head in farewell and Jayme tilted her head to hide her face after he passed.

When Pogo reached the door, he turned back to his family, the group looking right back at him with so much love and sorrow, even Grace was frowning. He took a deep breath to keep himself from crying before turning around and walking out the door, shutting it behind him.

-------------------------------------------------

"I don't tattoo children." Pogo stated after taking a drag of his cigarette.

To Nightfallजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें