Day 6: Against The Odds

Start from the beginning

"Aha!"

Unzipping a carrying case and removing the item, a sudden tone pierces the quiet room as the communications specialist tosses the item towards where Ethan stands, the thud of it landing and sticking against the window earning a surprised huff from you.

A surprise which your Partner certainly seems to share, turning to face his friend with a look of uncertain disbelief on his features.

"You're kidding me."

Benji just wordlessly shakes his head.

****

"Okay, the hotel server is eleven stories up and seven units over!" You barely hear Brandt's tone from the living room, seeming to be urging you and your Partner to hurry up from where you'd retreated for a moment, an unspoken concern having been previously exchanged with a simple glance.

"I could do this instead, if you wanted," You suggest softly, passing the man in front of you a pair of goggles, which he wordlessly sits around his neck. "There'd be no problem with that."

At this, Ethan just sighs, gaze lowering from yours for a moment before once more making contact.

"No," He states, a slight wavering in his tone that you've only heard on a few occasions throughout your career alongside him. "I need you here to keep an eye on everyone else."

But there's something more in Ethan's words that you almost catch onto instantly, a sinking feeling swelling within you.

"You need me here in case things go wrong," You correct with a thin-lipped smile, raising a suddenly trembling hand to his chest, smoothing out a wrinkle of the fabric. "So we can complete the Mission without you."

"Yeah," Is all he returns, his other hand finding the small of your back and pulling you close, your head resting where your hand had been previously been lying.

Your Partner's heart is practically beating out of his chest and for one of the few times in your life, a wave of icy fear dances down your spine.

He's terrified.

The Ethan Hunt - scared.

"It's twenty-six minutes to door-knock! Let's go!"

That's the analyst's tone again, rising in impatience.

"You'll do that for me," The man holding you close breathes, his breath tickling your skin. "Regardless of whatever happens: the Mission comes first."

Swallowing a rising lump in your throat, you step away from his larger figure, blinking back a sudden flurry of tears you hadn't even realized had risen to your eyes, merely nodding stiffly in response.

"Ethan, we're running low on time!"

That's Benji's voice.

You'd know it from anywhere.

Once more, Ethan sighs heavily, something unspoken glimmering in his gaze as he passes you yet another glance, wordlessly taking your hand in his, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

To which you return with equal force, knowing right well he needs the reassurance far more than you in this moment.

Composing yourselves, the pair of your stride back into the main area, the rather baffled appearance of Jane Carter standing in the doorway, a dry-cleaning bag tossed over her shoulder.

"What is going on?" She muses aloud, gaze skimming over your Partner's oddly dressed figure as he wanders over towards where Benji is waiting, the gloves in hand.