4

TW: violence, slurs

*flashback*

"You stupid bitch, how could you? After everything I've done for you, you tell me that I've raised a homo?" My father yells down at me, and screams about how I've let him down. I cower in the corner, afraid to even move. One wrong turn and he will loose it. Suddenly, I hear someone calling my name.

"Avery? Avery! Avery..."

*end flashback*

Something shakes me awake and I lift my head up to see Nat crouching next to me, asking if I'm okay.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry about Hangman, he's a real jerk for bringing that up to you," she speaks softly to me, attempting to comfort me. I nod, and she stands up, offering her hand.

"Come on, let's get you home."

I take her hand and she pulls me upright, me leaning on her slightly. She walks me to my truck and helps me into the passenger side, grabs the keys and hops in the drivers seat. I turn to her, and attempt to speak, but she cuts me off.

"Don't worry about my bike, I'll get Rooster to drop it off at yours later today," She starts the engine and drives the car out into the highway, heading towards my apartment. We reach the small building soon after, and she helps me out of the car, into my room and into some fresh clothes.

"Nat, can you stay with me?" I weakly ask. She turns to me with a smile.

"Anything for you, love."

She walks back over to my bed where I sit, and we both lay on my bed. Slowly I start to drift asleep, curled up in Nat's arms.
————
I awake with someone's arms curled around me, and all the memories from yesterday come flooding back. I turn to face Nat and watch as she sleeps, smiling at how peaceful she looks. Slowly, she cracks open her eyes and stares back at me.

"Morning, beautiful," she speaks. Her morning voice is so hot.

"Morning," I smile back at her. We get up, and I get dressed. It's a Sunday, so no classes. I check my phone, and am met with a text from Ice, asking me to come over to his. I sigh, knowing it can't be good if he's only texting me this. I find Nat and let her know I have to go, but she's welcome to stay here as long as she likes. I grab the keys and hop in my car, ready to head over to Ice. It's a quick drive to his place, maybe 10 minutes or so. I run up to the front door and knock. His wife Sarah answers it. She immediately hugs me and let's me in.

"Breaker," she smiles at me and sighs. My heart sinks.

"It's come back?" Tears start to form in my eyes.

"No one knows. There's nothing else they can do. Even speaking is painful now."

"Sarah I'm so sorry," I hug her tightly, both of us now crying. She lets me go, and tells me where he is.

"He's up in his office. Go to him, he wants to see you," I walk up the stairs and creak open the door. I see him sitting there, coughing loudly, and my heart breaks.

"Admiral," I break the silence and walk over to him. "How's my saviour?"

He smiles, and starts typing on his computer.

'I want to talk about work.' I shake my head in response, reassuring him everything is fine.

"Please, don't worry about me. What can I do for you?" He stares at me, and points at his computer screen again.

'I want to talk about work.'

"All right. Well, the flashbacks are here again. And Hangman found out about my dad, and my sexuality. Made a show out of me in front of everyone. I don't think I can keep my emotions in check."