I let out a laugh at the absurdity of the statement, unable to help myself, but as Lily raised an eyebrow, clearly unamused, my laughter died down and I stared at her in disbelief.

"You don't actually believe I fancy Black, do you?" I asked incredulously

The idea was ludicrous. Me, liking Regulus Black. It was truly ridiculous. I didn't like Regulus, I hated him. It was a known fact of all of Hogwarts. Why would I, a Gryffindor, ever like Regulus Black, a Slytherin? We were different in every possible way, not to mention the fact that we had never said a single nice thing to one another.

So how could Lily ever believe I liked him? Was it because she caught me staring at him in Hogsmeade and believed me to be jealous? Because I had not been jealous. I could never be jealous of Regulus Black. I nearly scoffed at the thought. I'd been under the impression that Lily was smart for her age, and yet her utter obliviousness to my hate for Regulus Black was quite concerning.

"You're actually trying to tell me you don't like him?" Lily asked, unimpressed.

"I don't like him," I said exasperatedly. "I have never, ever, liked him and never will."

Lily stared at me, deadpan, unable or unwilling to believe me. Why she was so fixed on this theory, I had no idea, but I did know that it was completely and utterly false.

"You know you can trust me, right?" Lily asked, trying another tactic. "I won't tell your brother, because I- don't like him."

She tripped over her words a bit, her face going a slight shade of pink as she finished her sentence. I frowned, wondering why, before the realisation hit me.

"You like my brother!" I exclaimed, almost accusingly, pointing my finger at her.

"No I don't!" Lily defended, her voice going several octaves higher. "He's an arrogant toe rag."

"I agree," I said automatically, "but you like my brother!"

Lily's eyes darted around the room looking around nervously as she hissed at me, "be quiet, someone's going to hear you."

"So you admit it," I proclaimed. "You like my brother."

"Fine I admit it," Lily relented, eyeing the students still in the Common Room wearily. "Now quieten down."

I grinned, unable to believe my ears. Lily Evans, finally falling for my brother after so long of his relentless pining. And to think this conversation started with her trying to get a confession out of me.

"Don't look so happy about it," Lily muttered, scowling at my smile.

It only made me grin wider, especially when I thought of what would happen if my brother ever found out she liked him.

"I can't believe you like my brother," I said, lowering my voice. "Don't worry, I won't tell him you like him."

Lily smirked smugly. "And I won't tell him you like Regulus."

I rolled my eyes at her. She just smiled, like she knew something I didn't. Which she didn't. I was perfectly capable of understanding my emotions and knowing when I liked someone or not myself.

"I don't like him," I repeated.

"Sure," Lily said dryly, unconvinced.

I nodded my head, confirming what I already stated, before bidding her goodbye and walking up to my dormitory.

I didn't like Regulus Black. I never would. We were just too different to ever be together, to ever want to be together. The thought of wanting Regulus Black to be mine was laughable. He would never be mine, and I would never be his.

I went to bed, ignoring the twinge of something inside me at the thought of Regulus Black being mine.

A/N:

the meme at the start of the chapter inspired the prank used on regulus, so i thought it was only fair to show it.

y/n being upset that regulus didn't say goodbye to her like, ma'am don't you hate him? why are you upset he didn't say goodbye? do you want to look into those feelings more closely? no? okay then.

lily trying to get a confession out of y/n and ending up confessing herself >>>>

'I was perfectly capable of understanding my emotions and knowing when I liked someone or not myself.'   ha, sure you are

also, just so everyone knows, i'm having trouble writing at the moment with lack of motivation, so my updating schedule will change. i'll continue to try to update once every week, as i do have some already pre written chapters, but i am struggling, so if i don't update like normal, this is why.

also² thank you for all the votes and comments you're all leaving on this story, it honestly makes me so happy and is one of the main reasons i've continued writing this story. so, thank you <3

that's all.