xii. ellianas gone?

tw: mentions of body shaming, child/family member loss and smut ( sort of idk if u count that or not)

JACKIE AND MIKE GOT TO THE SCHOOL AS FAST THEY COULD WITH NANCY AND ROBIN. Breathless, Jackie burst into the room, hands on her knees as she panted from the unexpected rush. Her friends gave her puzzled looks while Mike offered a reassuring pat on her back. Clearing her throat to compose herself, Jackie addressed the group, "Uh, so what's going on — ?"

"I, uh, Max please explain," Elliana urged Max, nudging her in the side, prompting a look from Max. "Okay, well, Fred and Chrissy, they both came to Miss Kelly for help," Max explained as Jackie peered over Robin's shoulder to read the notes Miss Kelly had written.

"Uh, they both were having headaches, bad headaches that wouldn't go away," Max listed, her tone carrying a sense of unease. Jackie's brows furrowed in confusion, and she unfolded her arms, shifting her weight slightly. Mike remained a steady presence by her side, his comforting touch serving as a reassurance amidst the growing tension in the room.

Elliana discreetly observed Mike and Jackie, a subtle ache settling in her chest as their closeness painted a picture of companionship she longed for. She couldn't help but wish for a connection with Max and Lucas akin to what she witnessed between the two. Elliana found herself harboring a growing crush, not limited to Lucas but extending to Max as well.

Despite her feelings, she hesitated to reveal her emotions, grappling with uncertainty about the acceptance of her newfound friends. The fear of potential judgment, especially when it came to matters of affection, held her back from being open about her developing emotions.

The weight of Elliana's struggles extended beyond her feelings for Max and Lucas. The challenges at home, with a super-religious mom imposing religious expectations and scrutinizing her every move, added to her burden. Elliana yearned for freedom and independence, wishing to escape the constant surveillance and the relentless critiques about her appearance from her mother. The desire for a space where she could be herself without judgment lingered as a silent plea within her heart.

"And then the nightmares. Trouble sleeping. They'd wake up in a cold sweat. Then they started seeing things. Bad things. From their past. And these visions, they just... they kept on getting worse and worse, until eventually... everything ended," Elliana added to the listing, her voice carrying a poignant weight. Robin looked up, and Jackie scrunched her face in confusion. "Vecna's curse," Robin spoke up, connecting the dots with an ominous revelation.

"W-Wait, Ellie, how do you know all this? I know you didn't read off this list. You haven't read anything in over a year after you got diagnosed with dyslexia." The Byers girl raised her eyebrows, and Mike furrowed his brow. Jackie scrutinized Max and Elliana even more closely—they both appeared extremely fatigued, out of breath, sporting eye bags, disheveled hair, and sweat covering their faces.