21. If you don't understand what's going on

"It's so nice to have you around again, James! You should visit Pinewood more often." My mom shook James' hand enthusiastically and, for a moment, I thought she wasn't going to let go of James at all. They'd just hold hands all night while I stood next to them like chopped liver. I would've teased my mom and ask if she wanted to take James for a walk instead of me, if that wasn't a surefire way to make her actually reply 'yes!' and come with us.

"I know, I know," James replied with an apologetic smile. "Every time I catch my flight back to New York, I already miss this weird little town."

"Aw," my mom cooed, "and we miss you, too. Did you know Bob—"

Mom launched into a whole new story about what Bob said about James.

Honestly, I should've told James I'd meet him outside, not let him come to our door. I'd already had my share of uncomfortable for the day with Aquila and Boris at the dinner table.

When we got back inside after getting firewood, Aquila had expressed himself with one-word replies when spoken to, and Boris played interpreter and elaborated on Aquila's responses. We all pretended that wasn't strange and ate our food. After dinner, my mom reluctantly admitted she understood why I'd have a hard time tutoring Aquila because he seemed very difficult to talk to. She said it nicely by using the word 'shy' to describe him.

James was anything but shy. He had a wide smile on his face as he and my mom chatted about nothing in particular. Bob's wood factory, the roads being muddy, my mom's job at the butchery. I waited with my hands shoved in my jacket pockets until they were done talking. Maybe my mom wasn't the only one who wanted to spend her entire evening with James, and the feeling was mutual.

A small sigh escaped my lips. I thought I was being subtle, but James glanced at me with an amused sparkle in his eye. "I think Xavier and I should get going," he told my mom.

At the mention of my name, my mom looked my way like she had just remembered she also had a son. "Oh, am I blabbering again like an old fool?" she joked. "Of course, go. But James, dear, don't forget to drop by for lunch before you fly home!"

"I would never forget," James replied with a bright smile. "I can't leave Pinewood without having one of your signature turkey sandwiches. See you later, Mrs. Davis."

With a small wave and a wink in my direction, Mom closed the door.

James and I started walking. I automatically headed for the woods since there wasn't much to see inside the village anyway. James followed me.

"Sorry about that with your mom," James said with a chuckle. "I didn't mean to keep you waiting."

"Nah, it's fine," I quickly replied. I didn't want to come across like a toddler stomping their foot in impatience, even if it was probably too late for that now. "It's understandable my mom's enthusiastic to see you again. You haven't been here for a long time and your arrival is probably the most interesting thing to happen here since we renovated the old school building."

James laughed. "I don't know about that. I heard a little something about you going missing in the woods and being saved by the new kid, Aquila. People have a lot to say about him, too."

"He's alright. He saved my life after all," I quickly said before James could enlighten me about what people were saying. I doubted most of it was friendly gossip. "Anyway, how have you been? Living it up in New York?"

"You could say that," James replied with a slow nod. "If 'living it up' means sharing a sixty square meter apartment with two horrible roommates who keep clogging the toilet, a bedroom that's no larger than a broom closet, and eating more instant noodles than I should. It builds character, I suppose. You should try it sometime."