BONUS CHAPTER - Crisp October Mornings

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Charlie already has a best friend. Shocker, I know, (*Hint the sarcasm). Presley is a calm reserved. Unlike my own child- who is an absolute diva- but, they're adorable together. Presley lives over in Minneapolis, which is great because they get playdates while I'm at practice.

"Switch me children." Brinley comes walking in with a fully and warmly clothed Charlie. I pass Max off to her so she can get him dressed while I make sure Charlie brushes her teeth.. Correctly.

We have a system down. It works. Everybody is happy.

One whole week. That's how long it's been since Max was born. It's already been a whole damn week.

I watch as Charlie brushes her teeth, foamy toothpaste covering her entire mouth. I chuckle, turning on the tap, "You can spit, kid." She rinses out her mouth before flashing me that huge grin of hers. "Good job."

Charlie steps down from the step-stool and walks out of the bathroom, then out of the bedroom, down the hallway to the stairs.

By the time we get down the stairs- and I get Charlie's shoes, coat, gloves, and hat on -Brinley is already outside with her own coat on holding a to-go Starbucks coffee cup. Max is bundled up in the bassinet stroller. He has a onesie on- I think-, a little hat, he's swaddled and in a grey Bugaboo Inlay, and a few loose blankets surround him to keep him warm.

"Didn't make me any coffee?"

Brinley grabs another plastic to-go cup from the cupholder and shoves it into my chest, "Hush."

I smile, grabbing ahold of Charlie's hand in my own as we start to walk down the street.

"What'd you learn at school this week?" I glance down at Charlie.

"Um.. Pway-dough... And, I write 1 to 10!", her little voice sounded so proud.

"Ten?! That's such a big number!" I smile as she nods proudly.

Her smile fades and she pushes her bottom lip out into a pout, "But they wouldn't let me go down the big swide."

"That's okay. We can just go down the big slide at the park." I say and her face lights up.

"Really?!"

"Really!"

"And you'll go with me?" Charlie asks and Brinley snickers beside me.

I nudge her arm with my elbow, "We'll see."

Brinley snorts beside me, "I'd pay good money to see that."

"Says the one that went on the swings last time."

"They're just swings. I fit perfectly fine. Now, you, going down a tunnel slide, is going to be very entertaining. And there will be a video."

I shrug, "Just proves that I'm a good dad."

Brinley smiles, "The best."

*

Emery's face appears on my phone screen, "Your wife won't answer her phone!"

"She's in the shower."

Emery groans, "Where's the baby?"

"I'm talking to her right now."

"Ha-ha, you're so funny." Emery sticks her tongue out at me like a child.

"That just proved my point so, thank you."

"Seriously, I wanna see him." She whines- again, like a child.

"Seriously, maybe you should come and visit."

"I'm coming. Just two more weeks. Now, please let me see.", I chuckle, angling my phone down to show Max asleep on my chest, "Oh my gawd!"