The New You

"(Y/N)!" Your best friend Mikasa called, running up to you as you walked into the school. "Wow, I almost didn't recognize you." She said softly, the two of you smiling at each other. You and Mikasa had been best friends since Kindergarten after she saved you from a couple bullies. You'd always known her as the stoic girl who only ever protected her brother Eren ((I know they're not actually related, but they just act like siblings in this for it to work, so please just bare with me!)) and friend Armin, but when she saw the smile on your face even after those boys had given you a bloody lip and swollen cheek, she couldn't help but smile herself. "Thanks?" You replied to her, unsure of her compliment. "It's a good thing! You look particularly pretty today." She snickered as you chuckled, running a hand through your ( h/l) (h/c) hair. "Yeah, I decided I wasn't going to be an outsider this year, I'm actually going to try." You said confidently, smiling a bit wider. "Good, I'm proud." Mikasa stated, going back to her bored expression as you two walked. You'd changed a lot over the Summer, the you that had usually not tried in the morning with clothes you'd worn every other day that week now had a new wardrobe with nice clothes and putting on at least a little make up. You'd changed your hairstyle too, you used to have (hated hairstyle) with (least favourite colour), but now your hair was slightly shorter and cleaner than your old hairstyle and you now had the tips dyed (f/c). You could already tell as you and Mikasa had walked that more people were noticing the new (y/n), soon opening your locker. "What classes do you have?" Mikasa asked, looking through your bag for your schedule. "Hey!" You laughed, snatching back your bag and grabbing your schedule, handing it to her. You placed your books, jacket and backpack in your locker as Mikasa looked at what classes you had together. "We've got Math and Art together." She stated, handing you back the paper before you taped it to your locker door. "That's great!" You cheered happily. "Yeah, you can help me with art and I'll help you with math." She said, making you chuckle. "I've got to get to socials before (least favourite teacher) has a hissy fit, I'll see you later (y/n)." Mikasa waved as she headed down the hall, you smiling as you started your way to homeroom.