23. The Attacking Titan

Start from the beginning

"Is that the reason you chose me?" Grisha asked, looking at Kruger.

Kruger looked at Grisha. "That's part of it." He said, recalling Gross breaking the news of Faye's death to her family. "The country, your father, yourself, the hate in your eyes was enough to burn the world to ashes."
.
.

A young Grisha listened to Gross with hatred in his eyes.
.
.

"I was once like that, too." Kruger said, looking down. "A group of Eldians loyal to the king had formed a resistance on the continent. My father was part of it. However, they accomplished nothing at all and were burned alive."
.
.

Three Marleyan officers stood and watched Kruger's father be consumed by large flames.

Through a small crack in the closet, Kruger watched them in fear.
.
.

"I was so young, all I could do was peek through the closet door and watch. Ever since then, I've sworn revenge on Marley and the revival of Eldia. But all I've managed to do..." Kruger lamented, remembering his mournful younger version as he kicked an Eldian off the wall. "...is cut the fingers off my fellow patriots, kick them off this wall, and turn them into Titans. It's because of the things I've done that my true identity was never discovered. I'm no different than when I was little. Perhaps I'm still looking at the world through a crack from the closet."

Grisha was quiet at first before speaking. "Tell me something, Owl. What mission do you want to give me?"

Kruger looked at him. "I want you to infiltrate the society within the Walls and steal the power of the Founding Titan. You'll do it by inheriting my Titan."

"Wait, but that means you'll..." Grisha trailed off.

Kruger looked ahead. "I'll have to be eaten by you as a Titan. You'll take the Founding Titan from its owner the same way."

"Why aren't you doing it?" Grisha asked.

Kruger faced him. "Those who inherit the power of the Nine Titans perish in 13 years. I inherited this power 13 years ago."
.
.
.

"The Owl called it 'The Curse of Ymir.'" Eren said, sitting cross-legged on chair.

All others were looking at him with a surprised expression.

"The Founder Ymir lived that long after her powers awakened, so it's only appropriate we live that long, too." Eren said.

"You have got only..." Hange trailed off.

"Eight years left..." Eren said in a monotonous voice.

"No. This has to be a mistake." Mikasa said, looking down at her hands while tears were on the verge of falling.

All of them looked down.

"It's not fair..." Mikasa said quietly, her gaze sad.

Tears started to roll down her face but she quickly wiped them.

After a few moments of silence, Eren continued in the same monotone voice. "If one possessing the power of the Nine Titans dies without passing it on, the power is inherited by a baby yet to be born by a Subject of Ymir. The only explanation is that all the Subjects of Ymir are connected by something we can't see. Some with Titan powers spoke about seeing some kind of paths. The blood and bones that form a Titan, and at times, even memories and thoughts are sent through those paths. All the paths cross at a single coordinate. That coordinate..."
.
.
.
.

"Is the Founding Titan." Eren and Kruger said.
.
.
.
.

Kruger faced Grisha. "Every single Subject of Ymir is connected to that coordinate."