Secret Love

~Hey, I'm back from being dead. Do you guys still read this? Kinda Romeo and Juliet AU? Kinda... Not really. Shoutout to anyone who know what song I'm referencing throughout the story. Really long, please don't tl;dr, I'm proud of this one. Word Count: 12,895~

We need to stop doing this. She thought to herself. He deserves better, a woman who an actually be his wife, hold him close and make him happy. Not me.

Lucy paced the gardens where they had made their meeting spot. Here, they had shared many wonderful memories, her first kiss, all the talks of future plans of getting married, having a family. Here, amongst the roses and bleeding hearts, where they made promises to each other that not even death will do them part. Lucy paced the gardens, questioning how good of a lover she really was.

A quiet rustling sound brought her out of her dark headspace, and she prepared to run. If anyone saw here here, alone, rumors would fly about her and her family. Well, more rumors than there already were.

The person who emerged though was not one to run from. It was her lover, Anthony Lockwood. His eyes lit up once he saw her. He softly called her name, and rushed to embrace her. Relieved that it was only him else in the gardens, she rushed to embrace him too.

"My love! It's been so long! Has your wicked mother locked you up again?" He inquired as he squeezed her tight.

Lucy felt herself wilt a bit at the mention of her mother. She mentally shook off the feeling of dread and placed a kiss on his cheek. "There's no need to think of my mother, I'm here now."

He released her slightly, still holding her at arms length. "Perhaps if she allowed you out, you wouldn't have to sneak out at these late hours. You must be tired, my love, I'm sorry I took so long."

"You were working with your father again, weren't you?" She guessed.

"When he is gone, I will take the roll as head of the house. There are duties I must learn now to be prepared for then." He reasoned. He took her arm and gently wrapped it around his, as he began to lead a stroll around the darker, quieter parts of the garden.

"You are such a good son." Lucy smiled. "A truly noble man, good son, and a remarkable lover." She looked away, bashfully admitting what she thought of him.

"I should hope you believe me to be a good lover! It would tear me apart to see you so unhappy with me." He softly laughed.

The night continued on, they talked, caught up since they had last met, and laughed as they often did on these night walks. When the stars hung high and the moon blessed them with a soft ambient glow is when Lucy truly felt free. The weeks of imprisonment and being forgotten about in her own home seemed lifetimes away in these moments.

The night became later, and the pair should be leaving soon to get rest for tomorrow as well to not raise suspicion. Neither wanted to leave. If they could've, they would be there for an eternity, and then some. But eventually, Lucy tugged at Anthony's arm with a tired, sad look on her face.

"We should make like shadows and disappear," She suggested. "Least we be spotted in the dawn together."

"Is that so bad?" Anthony whispered.

"I can't destroy you're image." She didn't dare look at him.

"Am I not allowed to have a lover? Someone I desire to spend my life with?"

"We aren't the ones to decide that."

"Says who?" Anthony gently cupped her face in his hand, bringing her to look at him. "Who says we cannot be happy together? Who says we must part?"