prologue

Fire. Dear and painful fire. Water. Malleable yet fleeing water. Earth. Still and distant earth. Air. Exciting yet tormenting air. These are the words that flowed through Peter Handbrokes mind as he fell through the sky. Seeing all four elements as he was spinning and feeling defied by all that he knew. And if there is one thing peter knew about defiance is that defiance is only good for one thing and that is evil. And if evil has known one thing of defiance its that if you're not doing it you're not in it which then makes you a prime target whether that be out of fear or fun.

Peter came to his senses after 15 seconds of falling and wondering what had happened that caused the fall. He then let out a quiet yet distinct "eureka!" it was a stupid mistake really; He had used the wrong orb! 30 seconds of falling. He reached into his pocket carefully hoping he had not lost his most precious and most necessary artifact known to his 14-and-a-half-year-old head and heart. Finding it he let out a sigh of relief then then he pressed a pin he had on his cape and a parachute shot out of his back seemingly out of thin air and he glided down to the ground.

*

It was a cold and wintery night while Dorothy Wilderland sat by the fire playing with her dolls her father was reading the newspaper in his favorite green chair behind her. Their mom was kindly working in the kitchen the occasional nock of dishes going off in the room adjacent to the lounge, the kitchen. But seemingly uninvited Dorothy noticed her muscles begin to cramp. For the first few seconds she was worried, and her mind began to create strange tales of her getting a rare muscle cramp disease. She then decided to shift her position a little and that seemed to do the trick for a few minutes and was happily playing with her dolls when she started to feel faint then in her second dizzy spell she heard a whisper. She looked up at her dad on the chair and made a noise he returned the noise. But it was different from the whisper. A bit dazed she went back to the dolls.

But there its was again the dizziness then the whispers. This time she made out a faint "Go!" she then found it in her to query of her father "go where daddy?" her dad looked up from his newspaper a bit dazed and he shook his head all confused. "oh never mind" Dorothy gave up. If it wasn't her father then who could it be her mom was too many meters away for her to have whispered something to her. The pots and pans stopped clattering and Dorothy got up to check on her mom instinctively. After taking her first steps her father stopped her and said "if there's anything going on that you just need to chat about let me know okay darling"

"Yeah I know" she shot back.

"Good" her father said letting her go.

Dorothy climbed past the couches and feeling a dizzy spell come on she fought it wanting her story to be told as her being a fighter. She could feel something trying to take a hold of her but she kept fighting and walked close to the dinner table but not being able to maintain her altitude she crumpled to the floor. Her father looked back at her and asked if she was okay. She let out a muffled "yeah". Then it all came flashing into her mind. Thoughts of betrayal, of love, of being hit, and finally dying.

When Dorothy awoke, she was in the hospital hearing a consistent beeping from the machines. Her first thought went to her parents. She lay there still just taking in the environment. She tried to think but could not. She then tried to move but she could not. Even her eyes would not obey her. She lay there in agony as she felt a piercing metal ball pierce her back. Then a voice came at her from behind.

"Why are you here?'

"what do you mean?" Dorothy replied.

"this is my body!" she heard it scream.

"what?" She gasped. Reeling from the proposition she was in another's body.

"Get out in the fiery name of J-" her words were cut short as Dorothy was catapulted through what seemed like an eternal kaleidoscope of stars. Then she awoke.