☀️ Mother Knows Best ☀️

Start from the beginning

"Rapunzel! Let down your hair!"

Hearing Mother Gothel from outside of the towers Rapunzel beams happily. "It's time!" She whispers, excitedly. Pascal straightens up, telling his friend to be strong. "I know, I know. Come on, don't let her see you." Rapunzel tells her chameleon friend, hiding him behind the closed curtains.

"Rapunzel, I'm not getting any younger down here." Mother Gothel points out, standing at the bottom of the tower. "Coming, Mother." Rapunzel replies, then casts down her seventy feet of hair. This lets Mother Gothel loosely tie it in a large loop and step in it, before Rapunzel manages to pull her up.

"Hi! Welcome home, Mother." Rapunzel greets, sweetly. "Oh, Rapunzel. How you manage to do that every single day without fail, it looks absolutely exhausting, darling." Mother Gothel says, stroking Rapunzel's chin, with her fingers. "Oh, it's nothing." She replies, humbly.

"Then I don't know why it takes so long." Mother Gothel teases, in a high-pitched voice. Then, she laughs. "Oh, darling. I'm just teasing."

Rapunzel giggles, awkwardly. "All right.. so, Mother. As you know, tomorrow is a very big day-" She begins. "Rapunzel look at that mirror. You know what I see? I see a strong, confident, beautiful young lady." Mother Gothel tells Rapunzel as they look in the mirror together. Rapunzel smiles.

"Oh look, you're here too! I'm just teasing, stop taking everything so seriously." Mother Gothel teases, as she checks her reflection.

"Okay, so Mother. As I was saying, tomorrow is-" Rapunzel says. "Rapunzel, mother's feeling a little run down. Would you sing for me, dear? Then we'll talk." Mother Gothel interrupts, with a smile.

"Oh! Of course, Mother." Rapunzel obliges, then quickly sets Mother Gothel's chair down, gets the hairbrush, sits Mother Gothel down, hands her some of her hair, then sits on a small, wooden stool and begins to sing the incantation very fast.

"♪ Flower, gleam and glow,
Let your power shine,
Make the clock reverse,
Bring back what once was mine.
Heal what has been hurt,
Change the fate's design,
Save what has been lost,
Bring back what once was mine ♪"

"Rapunzel!" Mother Gothel says. "So, Mother, earlier I was saying tomorrow’s a pretty big day, and you didn't really respond, So I'm just going to tell you. It's my birthday! Ta-da!" Rapunzel says.

"No, no, no. Can't be. I distinctly remember. Your birthday was last year." Mother Gothel recalls. "That's the funny thing about birthdays. They're kind of an annual thing." Rapunzel points out, then sighs. "Mother, I'm turning eighteen. And I wanted to ask, what I really want for this birthday.." She replies, then chuckles under her breath, as she strokes a strand of her hair, "Actually, what I’ve wanted for.. quite a few birthdays now-"

"Rapunzel please, stop with the mumbling. You know how I feel about the mumbling. Blah, blah, blah.. blah. It's very annoying. I'm just teasing, you're adorable I love you so much, darling." Mother Gothel says, then stands up and walks away. Rapunzel frowns, but Pascal comes down subtly and signals for her friend to carry on.

"Oh, I want to see the floating lights." Rapunzel blurts out. Mother Gothel lets out a small chuckle. "What?" She asks. "Oh.. Well I was hoping you would take me to see the floating lights." Rapunzel says, showing Mother Gothel her painting.

"Oh, you mean the stars." Mother Gothel replies. "That's the thing." Rapunzel points out, revealing her paintings of the stars. "I've charted stars and they're always constant. But these, they appear every year on my birthday, Mother. Only on my birthday. And I can't help but feel that they're, They're meant for me. I need to see them, Mother. And not just from my window. In person. I have to know what they are." Rapunzel says, desperately.