18. Needed to be Done

Start from the beginning

Marco furrowed his eyebrows. "I can't just live a comfortable and peaceful life when people will die here." He looked at Jean. "Jean. I'll join the Survey Corps."

Jean looked down. "It's the same for me..." He stood up, turned around and walked towards his friends, Marco following behind. "Hey, guys. Have you decided where you're going to enlist?"

Connie looked up at him curiously.

"I'm..." Jean said. "I'm-I'm joining the Survey Corps.

'Damn it.' Connie eyed Jean's shaking fist. He looked at Marco. "Hey, Marco. What about you?"

"I'll join the Survey Corps too." Marco said.

"Really? Even after seeing all of this?" Connie asked.

"Yeah. I can't just live a comfortable life knowing that more Walls could be breached and people will get killed." Marco said. "This is a something you can't do unless you decide for yourself."

"Huh? Jean said that?" Armin said and turned to him.

Connie looked at Annie. "Hey, Annie. What do you think? Even Jean and Marco said they're joining the Survey Corps."

"Nothing really." Annie said, looking at Connie. "You're set on joining the Military Police, right? Maybe I should too, shouldn't I? If someone told you to die, would you do it?"

"What? Of course not." Connie said.

"Then why not make your own decision?" Annie asked.

Connie looked down.

Annie looked at Armin. "Armin, what about you?"

"I think if you know why you have to die, there are times when you must lay down your life. Not that I want to die." Armin said.

"I see." Annie said and sighed. "You've made your choice."

"Yeah. I chose where I'd enlist a long time ago." Armin replied.

"Seriously? Armin, you too?" Connie asked with disbelief.

"You're weak, but you've got guts." Annie told to Armin.

"Thanks I guess..." Armin said.
.
.

Infront of the old Survey Corps headquarters, Eld and Gunthar were sitting on the stairs, waiting for Levi.

"It looks like they couldn't find any soldiers who used their Maneuver Gear without permission." Gunther said, holding a mug. "Then who did it?"

Eld took a sip from his mug. "No idea. Right now, I'm more worried about the upcoming induction ceremony. How many of the new trainees are actually crazy enough to join us?"

Gunther looked at Eren. "Hey, Eren! Are there any people in your class who'd join us?"

Eren was standing by the horses, holding a bucket up to one. "There are some. No, there were some. I don't know about now."

The sound of hooves was heard and Erd and Gunther immediately put their mugs down, with the the Special Ops Squad's second-in-command yelling,

"Attention!" Levi said and stopped before the duo. "Get ready to leave. We're heading out on patrol."

"Yes, sir!" They replied in unison.

Levi turned to Eren. "And Eren. Never stray more than two horse-lengths from me. Don't forget that the only reason you're not locked up is because I'm watching you."

"Yes, sir!" Eren replied, looking at Eren.

"Let's go." Levi said.

The four of them left on their horses soon.
.
.