Knowing {Kamado Tanjirou}

The slayers eyes moved smoothly as she followed the swift movements of the manipulative demon. It's nails threatened to slice the young child's skin each time (Y/n) made a step towards it, and something told her this demon would rather play with her than kill the child. The young girl thrashed her limbs around as the demons grip tightened on her. The girls parents, protected by (Y/n), watched in horror as the child's skin was torn open by another slash of the demons claws. The demon slayer gritted her teeth in anger as she launched herself at the tree behind the demon. The monster laughed in a cocky tone, before hearing the girl appear behind him.

"(B/n), third form, (form name)!" she shouted, extending her sword towards the demons neck as her swift moves caught the demon off guard. The demons eyes widened as her sword caught his flesh, ripping it apart and separating his head from his torso. The child covered her head and screamed as the three landed on the ground, one more gracefully than the others.

The demons body went limp, and there on the ground lay a disintegrating demon and a squirming child. (Y/n) sheathed her sword swiftly and scooped the child up her her arms as she walked over to the parents of the child.

"Annya dear!" the mother cried, lifting herself from the ground with a stumble as she rushed towards her child. The father limped behind his wife, joining the three as he cried out prayers of happiness.

(Y/n) transferred the crying child into the mothers arms with a sigh of relief, feeling rather accomplished for saving the child with little scratches on her fragile body.

"Thank you for saving my daughter!" the mother cried, touching her forehead to her child's hot one. "Thank you!"

The father embraced his family with a hug, his face hidden in his wife's shoulder. "Thank you gods..."

The demon slayer simply smiled in satisfaction, bowing her head with clasped hands. When she stood straight again, her eyes lingered on the family, all alive and healthy. A small part of her soul couldn't help but to feel jealous by the sight. Loosing her own parents when she was younger left a crack in her heart, and the crack grew more painful as she watched the many families she saved reunite at the end of her battles.

"It's my pleasure." With a forced smile, the demon slayer turned away, walking down the path that lead her here from the butterfly mansion.

༺ ♡ ༻

The walk back to the mansion left her mind swirled with memories of her own family. No one but her new friends and trainer were there for her after their death. As she walked into the estates gardens, she held her head low in sadness, wrapping her own arms around her stomach to ease her internal pain.

Once she reached her assigned, private room, she placed her katana on the side table. She removed her uniform and changed into the fresh clothes laid out on the bed, and sank into the sheets as soon as she finished. Her hands clutched the cold pillow as she pulled the sheet up to meet her waist. She wanted to sleep, to ease her mind, but a knock at her door woke her.

A tear dripped down her cheek as she mumbled, "come in."

A worried figure of one of her best friends, Tanjirou, entered the dark room as he closed the door behind him. (Y/n) wiped the tear from her skin as she saw who it was, but realized after the fact that he could probably smell the salt.

He walked over to the bed, (Y/n) not moving a muscle more as he knelt onto the floor to meet her eyes with his bright ones. "Hey, are you alright?" he asked, genuinely sad as he smelled the salty tear that she had tried to hide.

Lying to him never even crossed her mind. "I miss my family," she said truthfully, rolling onto her back as she brushed the hair out of her eyes and flopped her hands onto the bed.

Tanjirou understood all too well what she was feeling, so he slipped his hand onto hers and tangled his fingers with her own. "Do you want to talk about it?"

She turned her head to him as she felt her hand being covered with his own, and felt her heart skip as he asked her the question.

Turning her head back to the ceiling and brushing more hair from her face with her second hand, she released her thoughts in the safety of her room. "I just wish I could have been there to help them, in any way I could. I might have died with them, but I would rather have tried to help them fight that monster." She choked on her next words. "Saving that family today... it made me wish I could have my old life back. I just want it all back..."

Tanjirou felt every word of hers strike a familiar cord in his heart. His second hand moved to comfort her, cupping her face with his hand as he guided her to look at him. "I know what you mean. Every day I have those same thoughts, but I know they are here with me in spirit, and I know yours are here with you too."

Their eyes starred at each other until (Y/n) broke the connection, closing her eyes to let more tears slip out. A sad smile tugged at her lips before she spoke. "Thank you."

Tanjirou's thumb swiped the tears away from her cheeks as he stood up and retracted his hands from her. He patted the bed beside her, "Can I join you?" he asked, pulling at the sheets.

"Yeah.." she replied, fanning her eyes as she blinked.

Tanjirou pulled back the covers and joined the girl, pulling the cover over himself as he laid down. His hands trailed to her hair and he pulled her closer to himself, letting her head rest on his chest. This comforting action of his is what made (Y/n) love him even more than she already did. No matter how traumatic his own life had already been, he still was kind to her, never failing to make her calm. More tears threatened to fall as she wrapped her own arms around him, taking in the warmth of his core.

He nuzzled his nose into her hair, searching his mind for comforting words. "I promise you that I'll never be the one to leave you." He kissed her head. "You'll never have to feel that pain again, because I know that we can all win against the demons."

Her fingers tightened their grip on his clothes, and she pulled herself even closer to him. His chin was propped on her head now, and he smiled as his eyes closed. The softness in his voice put her at ease, and she began to fall asleep to his words. "I hope you always know how much I love you, (Y/n)."

༺ ♡ ༻