Chapter 8: The Progressive Tense

Christopher was walking home from school, reflecting on his day. Suddenly, Sammy appeared next to him and walked with him on the way home.

“Long time Sammy,” Christopher said to his walking companion.

“Chris, Chris, Chris. It sure has been a while. Last time we had a real conversation was what… two years ago?” Sammy spat venomously at Christopher.

“Seems accurate. We only stopped talking because we were growing apart, you know.” Christopher said in a nostalgic tone.

“Tell me if my photographic memory is wrong, but I recall you saying, ‘Just leave me alone freak,’ last month. Could I be wrong?” Sammy said in a condescending tone.

“I doubt it. Sorry though.” Christopher said without any meaning. He so desperately wanted to get home and away from this psychopath.

Sammy looked at Christopher’s face and said, “Ah. So you know what’s coming next. Yep. It’s verb time. Let’s see…what do you think of the progressive tense of verbs?”

“Not much,” Christopher replied, his voice sullen.

“Well, won’t we have fun, old chum? Now, down to business. The progressive tense of a verb shows an action or condition that is ongoing. With me so far?”

“Yes. I think so. Maybe,” Christopher said, unsure of himself.

“You sound unsure of yourself. I know from my observations of you that you are a mathematical thinker. I’ll give you a formula to help. To form the progressive tense: take ‘be’ or one of its conjugations, and add a verb in its present participial form.” Sammy told him.

“Oh. Yeah, that makes sense,” Christopher said excitedly, thinking the lecture was over.

“Let’s give you some examples. ‘He is hurting his ex-friend.’ ‘Is’ is a conjugation of ‘be’, and ‘hurting’ is ‘hurt’ in its present participle form. This is the present progressive tense of a verb. Here’s another: ‘The body had been rotting for weeks.’ ‘Had been’ is ‘be’ in its past perfect form, and ‘rotting’ is in its present participle form,” Sammy said with a shark-like grin on his face

Before Sammy could continue, Christopher ran away as fast as his short legs could carry him. He screamed as he cut through yards, tripped, got up, and continued to run. All the while, Sammy cackled with delight.