Chapter 3: Helping Verbs

The next morning, Sammy went to bombard his neighbor Samantha with information. “Do you know about helping verbs?” Sammy inquired from Samantha.

“Sure,” Samantha replied coolly, “They’re verbs that help your grammar be more correct.”

“Yes that is true,” Sammy said with a chuckle, “but it is more than that. You see, a helping verb is a verb that comes before the main verb, which in turn makes a verb phrase. This can make a sentence clearer.”

“Good to know,” Samantha announced,” but would you mind leaving, I think you might scare away the customers from my lemonade stand.”

“Haha,” Sammy giggled, “You just said some helping verbs right there. ‘Would’ is a helping verb, because it is another verb connected to it; ‘mind.’”

“Yeah, great” Samantha said as she blew a strand of hair out of her face, clearly annoyed, “Now would you just leave?” Samantha pleaded.

Ignoring the previous sentence from Samantha, Sammy said, “Well, I think you’ve got the hang of it, so I’ll just leave now.”

“Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!” Samantha called after him as he left.

Sammy turned and said, “What door?” without a drop of sarcasm in his voice.

“Just leave,” Samantha said as she put her head in her hands, grateful that this demon of a boy was finally leaving.