Season 2 Chapter 5 : Battle On, Challengers!

Start from the beginning

Midoriya : What are you talking about, Todoroki...? What are you trying to tell us?

Todoroki : You've heard of Quirk marriages, right? That thing that became a problem for the second and third generation after superpowers appeared. Choosing a spouse based only on strengthening your own Quirk and passing it onto your children, forcing people into marriage. The old fashioned way of thinking brought about by a lack of ethics. He is a man with both accomplishments and money. He won over my mother's relatives and got a hold of my mother's Quirk. He is trying to fulfill his own desire by raising me to be a hero to surpass All Might.

Rex and Midoriya's eyes widen in shock after hearing what Todoroki said.

Todoroki : It's so annoying... I won't become the tool of scum like that. In my memories, my mother is always crying. "Your left side is unsightly," my mother said as she poured boiling water on me.

Rex and Midoriya's eyes widen even more.

Todoroki : Basically, I picked a fight with the both of you to show him what I can do, without using my damn old man's Quirk...

Todoroki : No... I'll reject him completely by winning first place without using it.

Unknown to the three, Bakugo was standing around the corner and was just as shocked to hear about Todoroki's family life as the son of the Flame Hero walked away.

Todoroki : I don't care if you can't tell me how you're connected to All Might. No matter what you are to All Might, I will rise above you with just my right side. Sorry for wasting you time.

Midoriya watches as Todoroki walked away when he noticed that Rex had walked past him as well.

Midoriya : Rex...?

Rex then stops walking and starts to talk to Todoroki who was a few feet away from him.

Rex : Woah, that was some story. I thought you could only hear stuff like that in TV shows and manga. I've never experienced family drama since my parents were always working and that was set in stone the day they both died.

Todoroki then stops walking and glances back at Rex while Midoriya was shocked to hear this.

Rex : My parents didn't have Quirks to be heroes, so instead they both became scientists. And they were apart of the science team who worked on the Nanite Project. But they both died when the reactor blew. The reasons behind it may be different, but the objectives are basically the same. We both have something we want to prove. You want to prove that you can win without your fire, and I want to prove that the Nanite Project wasn't the mistake everyone said it was. But if you think you can win this entire thing with only half your power, then just drop out now. I don't care if you wanna get if Midoriya is your only objective, because with you're way of thinking, you're not gonna beat me.

Rex and Todoroki then stare each other as Midoriya could feel the immense pressure that was coming from the both of them.

Midoriya : ( If this were a comic, they'd both be the main character. That was kind of backstories they both had. Compared to that, what could I say...? )