Chapter 3-Realization

This story isn't as long as I thought it was, but here's chapter 3. Enjoy. 

Minho stalked through the building, his gun up, ready to shoot at any moment. Brenda had her own gun back now and was following his lead. Gali trailed behind them partially supporting Newt as they ran. The cure was working fast but he was still weak. Weak but persistent because, despite Gali's suggestions of letting Brenda and Minho handle this solo, Newt insisted on coming. They were going to find Thomas. No more trade offs. Everyone was getting out.

The group's steady pace came to an abrupt halt as they heard someone cry out. The halt in their steps lasted mere seconds before they were off at double speed. Even Newt was finding the extra strength to propel him to his friend. They didn't know exactly where they were going but they needed to find Thomas. Another scream sounded and Minho honed in on its source. They were close. Minho busted into the lab and immediately took in the scene in front of him. Janson was hurting Thomas. Teressa was off to the side, startled but unarmed. Thomas was covered in blood and not only that, but they were harvesting him. BANG! Minho shot Janson. He wasn't going to let him draw. Janson fell to the floor and Thomas' head turned slightly. It was clear he'd passed out from whatever pain Janson had been inflicting upon him.

"Thomas," Brenda ran to his side, Newt following instantly. Gali had turned his attention and gun to Teressa.

"What'd you do to him!" He shouted. Minho wanted to break it up, but Thomas was being harvested for the cure. Janson didn't have the knowledge to start that process. After his months there he knew that. Teresa had done this.

"I'm only trying to help the people who aren't immune. The people like Newt!" Teressa defended herself. "Janson made me start while he was still bleeding. He had the flare and was desperate."

"Well stop harvesting him now you shuck!" Gali seethed, waving his gun threatenly. Teressa didn't hesitate to listen so she jumped up and started to distatch Thomas from certain equipment. "Now, wake him up so we can get out of this place."

"Guys," Newt interrupted.

"You okay?" Minho asked. The memories of how sick and close to death Newt was only hours ago were still brutally fresh.

"It's Thomas, he's been shot!" Newt lifted up Thomas' shirt and then he stumbled. Minho steadied him, this was too much stress for someone you couldn't even really call recovered. Brenda grabbed some gauze from Gali and pressed it onto the wound. Thomas unconsciously winced and a tear fell down Bredna's cheek.

"He's also got some sort of stab wound in his chest. It ain't too deep, but it's bleeding a fair bit as well." Gali said, putting his gun down and glaring a threat at Teressa as he pressed his hands to Thomas' second wound. Something clicked in Newt's brain. He'd done that. He'd stabbed Tommy. His legs completely gave out and Minho fell with him, calling out his name as he held Newt's suddenly shaking body in his arms. "What's wrong!" Gali demanded, still not lifting his hands from Thomas' stab wound.

"I don't know," Minho sounded more panicked than he would have liked, but this was Newt. There was no calm if he wasn't okay. "Newt? Newt, talk to me!" Minho urged. He just couldn't lose them. Not when Thomas could die too. He didn't want them to die, especially when they were only here to save him.

"I-" Newt couldn't get the words out and Teressa rushed to her desk and grabbed an injector before kneeling at Newt's side.

"What's that!" Minho said defensively. After everything he couldn't trust her. Not in the slightest.

"It's the cure." Teressa said, holding up the vial. "It's a cure for the flare."

"No such thing," Brenda argued.

"Then tell me how you're alive." Teressa replied. "You should be dead. You needed more doses and since you didn't take any since I last saw you, you should have turned. You didn't and my research shows that Thomas' blood is in fact the cure." Minho met Gali's eyes and then Brenda's.

"Newt? Tell me what's wrong." He tried one more time. His pale friend only shook his head. Tears streaked his face as he grappled with the truth. The truth he couldn't bear to say out loud or let his friends hear. Minho sucked in a breath of burning frustration. "Is it safe so close to the other medicine?"

"Only one way to find out for sure, but I believe so." Teressa looked sincere, but Minho trusted that. Still, he couldn't see Newt suffer.

"Do it." Minho clenched his jaw and held onto Newt as Teresaa readied the injector. He didn't know what was wrong with Newt. He didn't know if it was Thomas or the Flare or some combination, but he had to do something. What Teressa was suggesting was something. Newt shook his head but Minho just held him tighter. Teressa positioned him properly and injected the cure. Newt flinched slightly mumbling to himself. Teressa looked at Minho. "Go help Thomas now." Minho looked back at Newt, not willing to thank Teressa, but not feeling right about glaring at her either. Teressa started to tend to Thomas with Gali and Brenda's help.

"I-" Newt was breathing shakily. And Minho tried to look at his face, trying to read what was going on. He wanted to call Teressa back over, but once glance and he knew Thomas needed her right now.

"Newt, it's okay. You're going to be okay." Minho said quietly, not wanting to worry Gali or Brenda.

"No," Newt's voice was so weak and broken. Minho's heart sank. He hated not knowing what was wrong. "I did-" More tears poured down Newt's face and his hands clenched. "I stabbed him." The words sounded so hollow it took Minho a moment to realize Newt had said them.

"What?"

"I stabbed him." Gali heard that time and glanced over at Minho and Newt on the floor. He wasn't angry, just worried. "I'd turned and I was shoving the knife into his chest. He could hardly stop me."

"But he did. Newt. Look at me, you didn't shoot him. That's the main issue here. This stab wound, it's not even that deep." Gali reasoned, trying to calm Newt down. This wasn't the Flare affecting him, it was the realization that he'd hurt Tommy. It only took one glance at Minho for them to know they were thinking the same thing. If this wasn't the Flare, what was this so-called 'cure' going to do him, especially so close to a dose.

"But, I could've killed him, I-"

"Tommy wouldn't have cared. Newt, he'd die for you. He loves you," Minho cut Newt's guilty words short. "Tommy would do it all over again if it meant saving you so stop. You can apologize when he wakes up if you want, but he probably won't accept it. He'll tell you to just stop being stupid and then he'll hug you. Understand?" Newt nodded slightly, but tears were still rushing down his cheeks. Minho started to get up, lifting Newt with him. There was more colour in his face so maybe the cure had still done some good. Then the building shook and everyone struggled to keep their balance. 

Longer one again. I'm really being consistent here, lol. Thanks for reading.