16~ Trouble in Paradise

Start from the beginning

"Nope. She hates getting flowers as a gift. I'm getting her extra dark chocolate truffles, which are her favorite by the way, and showing up at her doorstep," He corrected me. "Later, Jackass," he called as he left the house.

I was left alone with nothing to do. I couldn't go on another run to pass time. I was bored with the TV. I didn't feel like doing anything and my phone is almost dead.

The doorbell rang, giving me something to do. I stood up and opened the door. Mason was standing there looking serious.

"Hey Mason," I greeted. "You good?"

"We need to talk," he said straightforwardly and seriously. He pushed through me and walked into the house.

Fuck. What did I do wrong? I ran through my recent events. I can't think of anything I did wrong. Was this about Ash getting drunk and staying the night?

I followed him to the dining room. Shit, this was serious.

"Look Mason, I'm sorry I let Ash get drunk. I made sure she was safe and she definitely didn't drive anywhere," I said quickly before he started yelling at me. He doesn't yell often. He's a very calm guy, but when it comes to Ashtyn there's no telling what he would do.

"What? Ash was drunk?"

"Hm? I don't know what you're talking about," I scratched the back of my head nervously. He obviously wasn't here about that. "What's this about then?"

He sighed and I could tell dad mode was on. I sat down slowly and looked at him. "Look, I know you haven't exactly had the best life. I know especially these past two years have been tough on you," he started.

My body immediately went rigid. Why was he bringing this up? "Mason," I growled.

He put his hand up calmly to stop me. "Hear me out, East. I'm not gonna sugarcoat this, your life has been hell and I understand that it's a lot to take for an eighteen-year-old. I need you to be completely honest with me. No bullshit, alright?"

I nodded in comprehension. I was unsure where this was going.

"Are you okay?" He asked. "Now, I don't want a bullshit answer like I'm fine. I want you to be brutally honest."

"I am fine, Mason," I said.

"That's bullshit. I know you've been having attacks, okay? I know that you use running as an escape from it."

I opened my mouth to speak, but he beat me to it.

"Yes, Ashtyn did tell me about it, but I had my suspicions. And don't get mad at her for it, she was scared and didn't know what to do."

"Okay, yeah, I do have attacks and I do run to help it, but honest to God Mason, I'm okay. I'm fine. I promise."

"What happens when you can't run, Easton? When you already ran or God forbid get hurt? It's not healthy to just sit there and let it happen."

"What else do you want me to do, Mason? I can't just stop them from happening," I raised my voice unknowingly.

Mason stayed calm. Sometimes I hated how he stayed so calm in conversations like these when I'm all fired up. Sometimes I wished he would stand up and yell in my face or punch me or something.

"I want you to consider going to a therapist. I was talking to a friend of mine and there's a plan for someone like you, who has childhood trauma, and I think it would be beneficial for you."

I stood up from my seat, heated. "What the hell, Mason? You want me to sit in front of a fucking shrink. No thank you, I'll pass," I yelled.

He stood up and placed a hand on my chest, grounding me to him. "I want you to get better, Easton. I think this is a good opportunity for you."