𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.

Norway, 2016

Norway, 2016

I took in a heavy breath and let it go. I did it again, and again. I was trying to calm myself down.

When my mom came to get me, I thought it was over. I thought we were going to go back home, maybe. But she told me we were coming here, and when she did, I didn't expect to be hiding still.

"Relax," my mom ushers quietly. We were in some small stall of a bathroom. She was washing her face, I'm guessing to calm herself, and I was leaning against a wall to stop myself from pacing. "We'll be fine."

I watched her carefully, seeing the sharp and shaky breath that she let go of. I knew that I could fail to be observant at times, but I don't think my mom recognized how observant I am.

When she was scared, I felt that I had reason to be scared. And right now, I was going to be scared.

My mom was watching the security cameras through a burner phone that she held in her hand. I had never owned a phone for this exact reason.

I didn't even want to watch it with her. I looked up at the ceiling, letting go of another deep breath. We could hear the gunshots still ringing out from outside of the building. It had been going on for minutes now. I leaned my head against the wall in exasperation. I was trying to get myself to relax before I had a panic attack.

I saw my mom move from the cameras and instead went to dial a phone number. Every time I saw her make a movement, my eyes darted unto her. I narrowed my eyes when I saw what she was doing, and I assumed that she had a feeling I was about to intervene.

"Quiet." She said it just as I parted my lips, but she wasn't even facing me.

"What are you-" I spoke up anyway. She turned to give me a reprimanding glare. I wasn't usually good about being quiet when I was told to. I watched her pull the phone up to her ear, and I groaned in frustration.

"Don't do this," she said the words suddenly. "Come after me," she continued. I couldn't hear what the person was saying from the other end. But if I was on the right track, then this person had to be Secretary Ross. "I mean, you're embarrassing yourself it looks desperate." She said it while gathering a couple of our things. All of a sudden, she was calm and composed. I watched her grab our jackets and hold them close to her.

I narrowed my eyes. She had acted like we were stuck here, like we had no way out, and now, we were just going to leave?

Then, she put him on speaker and placed the phone back onto the counter. I could see the cameras again, so I brushed my wavy hair from my eyes and went to look down at the phone.