9~ I Wish That I Was Eighteen...Not

Comenzar desde el principio

"I'm here," I said. I bet he was worried about me. I left pretty fucking early and I was gone for hours. Knowing what day it was, didn't help.

"Thank fucking God because you scared the shit out of me," He breathed in relief when I walked into the kitchen.

"Sorry," I apologized quietly. I grabbed my protein shake from Demi, with a kiss on her cheek.

No one mentioned the words happy birthday and for that I was glad. I jumped in the shower and rinsed off all of the grime and sweat, from the run and this morning. I pretended that everything was okay and that it was a normal day. I knew that wouldn't work eventually, but for now, it was fine.

"Easton? Are we going to school?" Ethan asked me.

"You're going to school no matter what, but yeah. I think we'll go" I answered.

We made a deal last year. If I didn't go to school on my birthday, he wouldn't go either. That was a different time. I was a different person. I was still depressed and getting into fights with Sam. It was only one year after, but after that day I decided to move on with my life.

He looked at me in shock. "You want to go?" He asked me.

I nodded. "Don't make me rethink this decision, Eth. I'm trying, okay? No guarantees I'm not going to get up and walk out or beat the shit out of someone. Bring your car," I told him before kicking him out of my room, so I could get dressed.

It was almost ten by the time the two of us left the house.

"Easton?" Ash called as she saw me in the hallway. She ran up and hugged me. I hugged her back. "I wasn't sure if you were going to show up or not. Mase said you normally skipped on your birthday."

"I do," I said.

"I was going to come over if you didn't come to school," She said and we began walking in the direction of her class. I couldn't care less if I was going to be late.

Ally's words replayed in my mind. You just need to let her in.

"You should still come over. I can't guarantee I'll be in a good mood, but could you?" I asked.

I think she deserves to know why I hate my birthday so much. She is my best friend after all.

She smiled at me. "Yeah, I'll stop by," She said.

"Hey, Quincy!" Sam's voice echoed through the hall. He was behind me.

I clenched my fists and prepared for the words about to come out of his mouth. Last year, I stayed home from school and punched holes into a wall. I didn't want to deal with anyone's shit.

"Yeah?" I asked and turned around.

I could see the side of him I used to know. The side of him I used to be friends with.

"Happy birthday," he said in a normal voice.

My fists unclenched and my body relaxed. I was shocked.

"Thanks, man," I said awkwardly. I was expecting some type of insult or attempt to agitate me and make me angry. I wasn't expecting anything remotely nice coming from him, not in the past two years anyway.

He walked away and I turned back to Ash.

"Come over after school and we'll talk," I told her and walked away. She walked into her class. I reluctantly walked to mine.

***

The day went surprisingly well. I kept my mind off of anything and I mentally prepared myself for telling Ashtyn. I didn't know exactly what I was going to say to her. There was kind of a lot and I wasn't ready to let her in that deep.