6~ Need a Lesson in Apologizing

Comenzar desde el principio

I ignored what he said about jealousy and Ashtyn and skipped to the part where he was talking to me. "What do you need?" I asked.

"I asked if I could go to Erin's after school today" he repeated himself.

I shrugged. "Yeah, why not? I don't give a fuck" I looked over to Ashtyn again and caught sight of Megan sitting in Sam's lap, making out with him. I stood up quickly. "I'm out of here," I told him and walked out to my car before starting it and leaving the school parking lot. I've had enough of that hellhole for one day.

I couldn't go back to the house. Nick and Vicki were there and I didn't want to deal with that. I was too upset to deal with them right now.

It was raining so I really couldn't run. I had nothing else to do. I drove around the city aimlessly. Soon enough my stomach growled and realized I didn't actually eat lunch. I found a small restaurant and walked in.

"Hi, welcome in, what can I get you started with?" The lady at the counter asked.

I realized it was more of a coffee house and bakery than anything. I looked at the menu.

"Can I get a blueberry bagel and a black coffee please?" I asked her.

"Yes sir. Is that all?" She said.

I gave the menu a once over and nodded. She put something into the computer. "Your total is $5.41"

I handed her my credit card. She swiped it and the transaction went through. She handed me my receipt along with a table number.

"Your number will be called when your order is ready. Have a great day!" She smiled and sent me on my way.

I smiled and found a seat in the back of the cafe. I scrolled through my phone until I heard my number being called.

I walked up to the counter and faced someone I never thought I'd see again. What is it with me and people from my past?

"Easton Quincy?" He asked in shock.

"Mr. Fisher," I said.

"How are you doing? I haven't seen you in two years." He asked with a smile on his face.

I nodded. "I'm uh doing good. Just keeping Ethan out of trouble now. I met some new people and am in with a better crowd now." I knew exactly what he was asking. He wanted to know how I was doing with my second chance.

I'm not sure how Erin and Ashtyn count as friendships. Erin is Ethan's friend. Ashtyn and I only just started talking and Ash is currently not talking to me. The only reason we really know each other is because of Mason.

"George," someone called from the back.

"It was great seeing you again, Easton. I'm so glad you're doing better." He turned around but quickly turned back. He pulled a card out and handed it to me. "Helen would love to see you and how you're doing. Call me and we'll arrange something. Keep up those good friendships."

"Um, Mr. Fisher?" I found myself calling after him. He turned around again expectedly. "How's Luke?"

His name tasted weird coming out of my mouth, but my curiosity got the best of me.

"He's doing good." He said finally. He turned back around and went to the back.

What he said stuck in my mind. Keep up those good friendships. How could I do that when one of those friendships is currently not talking to me?

With that, I grabbed my stuff and went back out to my car. I drove back to school just in time for school to get out. Thankfully the rain had stopped.

I parked next to Ashtyn's car and got out. I leaned against her driver's side door. I saw the students start pouring out of the school doors.

She immediately glared when she saw me.

"Go away Easton, what don't you understand about leaving me alone?" She tried to open her door but I blocked her way.

"We have a project to get done, Ash" I smirked.

"Move, please" she whispered without looking into my eyes.

I pulled her chin up to me. "I'm sorry," I said softly.

She sighed. "I know you are, but you scared me, East. The last time that happened, something bad happened and I was worried it would happen again" I could see the tears well up in her eyes.

I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and pulled her closer to me. I set my chin on her head and she wrapped her arms around my waist. "I'm sorry I put you through that. I didn't mean to scare you." We stayed in that position for a few seconds. Normally, it took me forever to get this close to someone, but for some reason with Ashtyn, it felt natural.

It took a lot longer to get this closer to Megan. I knew I was in deep shit. I didn't want the same thing with Megan to happen with Ash. Ash isn't Megan. I reminded myself.

"Easton?" Ashtyn pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Hmm" I hummed in response. 

"We have a project to get done. Meet at your house?" She asked. I groaned. That was just to get her to talk to me and now she's using it against me. She giggled. "I'll meet you there" she smiled and I moved out of her way.

She got in her car and I got in mine. I drank my coffee and ate my bagel as I drove to the house with Ashtyn. She got there before I did. She waited in her car as she waited for me to get there. I wasn't very far behind her.

We walked in and Nick was already on my case.

"Who's here with you? I don't remember you asking permission." He grumbled.

"Shut the hell up, Nick. Everyone knows you actually don't give a shit," I said in a bored tone.

He looked taken aback.  It was all fake of course for the guest. "I will not have that kind of language thrown at me in my own house. You're disrespectful to the person who gave you a home."

I rolled my eyes at him. "You might own the house, but you're never here. I don't think you can claim the house as your own. And as for giving us a home, there's nothing homey about this place. It's bland. I didn't ask you to adopt me and Ethan. You did that on your own."

"Where's that kid anyway?" He asked, disregarding everything I just said.

"At a friend's house. And before you say anything else stupid, I told him he could. He doesn't need permission from you to be a normal teenager," I spat and dragged Ash up to my room.

She followed silently. She probably felt so awkward witnessing that.

"Uh sorry. Nick thinks he's so big and bad," I said awkwardly.

Her smile made all the awkwardness disappear in seconds. "Let's just finish the project," she offered.

I groaned. "How about we just watch a movie? Demi should be up here any minute with snacks and drinks, especially after what just happened." I counter-offered.

"Okay fine" she agreed.

Demi came up a couple of minutes later with snacks and drinks as I predicted. We turned on a movie and lay on my huge bed. I lay against the headboard and Ashtyn was laying on her stomach with her feet by my head. We stayed there and watched movies for a long time. Ash had fallen asleep on my bed and her phone started ringing.

I answered it for her.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Easton?" Mason's voice questioned from the other side of the phone. "Why do you have Ash's phone? Is she okay?" He asked worriedly.

"She fell asleep watching movies at my place. What's up?" I answered. 

"It's past her curfew, she needs to come home." He said. He seemed calmer knowing she was okay. I looked at the time. I didn't realize how late it was. I must've fallen asleep too. "Please get her up and send her home. Thanks, East." He hung up.

"Easton?" Ash questioned sleepily. "Who was that?"

"Mason. You're late for curfew" I said and sat up. She freaked out and sat up. She threw her shoes on. "It's okay. I smoothed things over with him"

She sighed in relief. "Thanks East," She said.