8. The Night of the Closing Ceremony

Start from the beginning

Reiner charged towards Eren holding the wooden dagger.

Eren slammed him into the dirt.

"Ow!" Reiner said in pain as he fell to the ground.

"Sorry." Eren said, offering him a hand. "I'm not good at holding back."

Reiner stood up. "Now it's your turn to be the criminal." He held out the wooden knife.

But Eren didn't take it.

"What's the matter?" Reiner asked.

"I don't get this training." Eren said and took the knife. "Why would soldiers fight other people? Only an idiot would take on a target barehanded."

"That's irresponsible thinking." Reiner said. "We're soldiers. There are times we can't run away, no matter how bad the situation is."
.

Around them, the trainees continued to spar.
.

"No matter what the enemy is, we have to be ready for it, whether it means using cannons or combat techniques." Reiner said. "I believe that's the responsibility of a strong soldier." He looked to his left. "Anyway, look there."

Eren looked to his right. "Oh, it's Annie. She's slacking off without the commandant noticing again."

Reiner turned to him. "Alright, Eren. That slacker needs a lecture, too. Let's teach her how a soldier's supposed to act."

"Huh?" Eren said, looking at Reiner.
.

Annie was looking behind her and ended up almost running into Reiner's chest.

Reiner smirked. "Not fond of the commandant's head-butts? If you don't wanna end up any shorter, think back to why you enlisted in the first place and start taking things seriously."

Eren walked up to them.

"Alright!" Reiner said and. came up behind Eren. Then he grabbed Eren shoulders with a smile. "Get started, Eren!"

Eren let out a sigh. "Fine."

Annie got into position.

"You know what to do, right?" Eren said and charged at her, holding the dagger.

Annie swang her right leg, trying to swept Eren but he jumped up in time.

Before Annie could react, Eren spinned around and swept Annie's legs, making her fall to the ground with wide eyes.
.

Reiner gasped.
.

Eren stepped closer to her and offered a hand. "Nice move, Annie."

Annie took his hand and stood up.

Eren turned to Reiner. "It's over, right?"

"No!" Reiner said and placed his hands on his hips. "The drill's not over until she takes the dagger!"

Eren nodded and turned to Annie.

Both of them starred at eachother, ready to attack.

Suddenly Annie threw an uppercut at Eren while holding his hips.

Eren reacted quickly and blocked Annie's punch with cross arm.

Then he jumped up as Annie tried to swept his legs.

Taking the opportunity, Eren spinned around, went behind Annie and swept her legs, making her fall again face first.

Eren quickly went on his knees and pointed the daggers at Annie's nape while holding her back.

After a moment, he stood up and tossed the dagger to Reiner. "I think it's over, Reiner."

Annie sat up.