5. To You, In 2,000 Years

Start from the beginning

"Yup, we're guardin' the gate today!" Hannes said proudly. "We're stuck here all day, so we end up getting hungry and if some booze happens to get into our drinks, so what? It's no big deal."

"And will you be able to fight if something happens?" Eren asked firmly.

"And when would that be?" Hannes asked, confused.

"Isn't obvious?" Eren asked. "When they break the Walls and storm the city!"

"Damn, Eren." Hannes said and touched his forehead. "Don't start yelling so suddenly."

One of the Garrison soldiers stood up and walked to them laughing.

"You're lively, doctor's son!" The other Garrison soilder said. "If they do bust down the Walls, we'll take care of business, don't worry. It's never happened, not once in the last one hundred years."

"Still, my dad says there's nothing more dangerous than being complacent like that." Eren said.

"Dr. Yeager, huh?" Hannes said.

"Yeah, he got a point." Another Garrison soilder said. "He once saved this town from an epidemic. I can't argue with him."

"Still, they're another story." Hannes said. "When you're a soldier, you get to see those things roaming around outside while you're on Wall reinforcment duty and stuff. The Walls are fifty meters high, though. I can't see'em do anything about it."

"W-Wait..." Eren said with wide eyes. "So you're saying you don't even have the resolve to fight them to begin with?"

"Pretty much!" Hannes replied cheerfully.

"Wh-What?!" Eren said indignantly. "Then drop the 'Garrison regimen' name for 'Wall Construction Squad' instead!"

Mikasa covered her mouth and giggled.

The other Garrison soldier thought it was funny, too.

"That doesn' sound half bad."

"But you gotta understand, Eren, if a soldier's doing his job, things have seriously gone to hell." Hannes said. "It's better when everyone's calling us useless freeloaders. It means peaceful times for us all."

"Sure, we can stay inside the Walls our entire lives and do nothing but eat and sleep!" Eren said. "But that basically makes us cattle!"

His words seemed to click something in Hannes's mind although the others soldiers laughed.

"Man, you're one plucky kid! For someone who's totally helpless, right Hannes?"

"Huh? Y-Yeah." Hannes said.

Eren kept his head down and walked away, Mikasa right behind him.

"Hey, Eren." Hannes called out, but he was ignored.

"What a strange kid." One of the soldiers commented.

"Don't tell me... does he wants to join the Survey Corps?" Hannes said, staring after him.
.
.

The two children continued to walk in silence.

Mikasa looked at Eren. "Eren, are you sure about joining the Survey Corps?"

Eren looked at her. "Not you too, Mikasa."

"I'm just asking, Eren." Mikasa said.

"I'm sure that I'll join the Survey Corps." Eren said confidently.

"Hmm..." Mikasa said.
.

Then bells began ringing in the distances.
.

Eren's face lit up. "The Survey Corps is back!" He exclaimed, excited. "They're gonna open the front gate!" He grabbed Mikasa's hand. "Let's go see the heroes return!" He took off running, holding Mikasa's hand.
.
.