chapter thirty

Jennie is stuck to my hip tonight, which is a far cry from how she has been the last two months, but of course, I would never push her away. It had taken some convincing, but my fiancee had finally agreed to leave the house to meet Jisoo.  

I had first suggested inviting her to our house, but Jennie refused to allow her into our home. I was hoping she would feel differently after today, but so far, I'm not feeling optimistic.

Jisoo approached our table with a smile, making direct eye contact with Jennie, but although Jennie returned the smile, her face was one of sour disgust which didn't compliment the faux smile too well. 

An urge to scold her tugs at me but when Jisoo sits down in front of us, I feel Jennie shudder slightly, and that's when she leans into my side, in the crook of my arm, quietly seeking my protection and comfort.

"Hey, guys. Jennie, how are you?" 

The silence that follows Jisoo's question is awkward but it is fleeting because several seconds later, Jennie finds her voice. "Fine." A reserved and rude response that awakens the voice in my head and prompts me to breathe out my frustration. I smile at Jisoo in an attempt to ease the tension that had settled thickly between her and the girl by my side. She smiles back knowingly.

"I'll get this round of drinks," Jennie says suddenly, scraping her chair against the floor and walking away without waiting for a response.

"You convinced me but forgot to convince your wife," Jisoo points out in a snarky voice. 

"She's not my wife yet," I respond, my eyes watching carefully at every step Jennie took. I often found myself watching her when she walked away from me nowadays, but she did well not to disappear from my line of sight since that day at the mall.  

"No? What are you waiting for?"

"I want you to be there." I don't see how Jisoo's expression responds to what I just told her, I'm still watching Jennie who was now talking to the bartender. 

"And what does Jennie think about that?"

"It doesn't matter what she thinks. It's my decision." In my peripheral vision, I see Jisoo straighten in her seat. 

"Well, I'm impressed. I was almost convinced that she had you on a tight leash." 

I bark out a laugh. "Not a chance." Jennie makes her way back to us, balancing three drinks in her arms. "But maybe don't mention it to her just yet."

"She doesn't know that I'll be there?"

"She's not fond of the idea."

"So, she'll find out on the day."

"I was hoping that she got over herself today, but if she doesn't, then yes, she'll find out on the day. It won't matter. She'll marry me either way."

"You're very sure of her love for you," Jisoo points out sceptically.

It's very naive. She doesn't even love us anymore. 

Before I can answer Jisoo, Jennie is back within earshot of us. I stand quickly to help her with the drinks before we both sit back down. Jennie is the first to down her drink followed by Jisoo while I leave mine untouched. 

"I heard you got a job from your internship, Jennie," Jisoo makes another attempt to conversate with Jennie and once again, Jennie stares at her blankly for a few moments before bothering to reply. 

"Yes." I turn to her to give her a pointed look but to my surprise, I hear Jisoo laugh. "Something funny?"

"Why do you hate me so much, Jennie? Is there a reason? I know some shit went down between us, but I have more reason to hate you than you do to hate me, so if I can get over it then why can't you? At least for Lisa's sake. I mean, it's not like I was the one who killed your mum or something."