十六

🗀 Rejection: 16

"Are you really sure about not attending cram school?" Her mother asks as she held the same envelope filled with money to Airi back then.

"Positive." Airi replies, sending a quick smile to her mother. "I'll do at my own pace and see where it takes me." She adds, using a liner brush to give greater small ideas on the dress she's coloring on her canvas.

Earlier today, her mother had asked for her and Takashi's help in cluttering out some items in her closet. While de cluttering and throwing some unused items away, they stumbled upon the wedding dress she wore on their wedding day. As their mother proceeded to tell them the story, Airi felt indifferent. Though she felt that way, her eyes were drawn on the dress and wondered if she could envision her older self wearing one in the future.

And now here it is - painting and refining the details of the dress while her subject (herself) lies down, arms propped up and hair sprawled all over.

"Your painting is getting good, Airi." Her mother begins to compliment, catching Airi off guard, to the point that she stopped the tip of the brush from the canvas. 

"I'm sure that the universities you want to try will accept you tremendously!" She beams to her, taking Luna in her arms as the little girl made grabby hands, indicating that she wanted to be carried. "By the way, how is your male friend? You know, the one we met in the hospital."

Hearing the description made her blush profusely, the image of Shinichiro smiling popping inside her head. "He's doing well. And we aren't friends." She replies. Takashi sitting beside her, admiring her painting of the dress.

"Not friends?" Her mother asks. "Then are you two dating already? Oh Airi, you should tell me all about him!"

"We aren't dating, mama!" She quickly defends, the color of her face immediately turning bright red. "Honestly he bugs me around, calls for my attention and pops in whenever he wants to. We aren't even dating but he does that continuously!"

"But you never push him away, do you?" Her mother asks, patting Luna's butt gently as she carries the little girl in her arms. "If it bothers you so much, you can just tell him off. But you didn't." She adds.

Her mother's words are true. If she was so annoyed by him, she could have just pushed him away, tell him that his presence annoys her and finally have him bug her off. But she didn't. Airi wanted to say something about it but nothing was coming out of her lips. Because deep down, she enjoyed his company and liked having him around.

Meanwhile, in the Sano residence, a frown clouds over Mikey's face as he makes his way to the living room where his older brother Shinichiro and Takeomi are lounging at.

"Hm?" Shinichiro hums, noticing Mikey's sudden arrival. "What's up, Manjiro?" He asks, looking at him. "Aren't you playing with Haruchiyo, Senju and Keisuke?"

"I have a question." He tells him. Now Takeomi is interested in what he wanted to ask because of the look on his face.

"Go ahead and ask me anything!" Shinichiro responded, smiling with his eyes closed. "Just make sure it's not math!"

"How much is a ring?" Mikey finally asks.

There was an air of silence between the three of them, most especially to the two older males who looked at Mikey in confusion.

"Why d'you ask?" Shinichiro asks, lifting his right ankle to rest it on his left lap.

"Because I'll propose Airi chin first before you can!" He responded enthusiastically, his eyes gleaming. "She's only being humble around you, Shin nii! So, hurry up and tell me how much does a ring cost so I can propose to her!"