15

tw: blood, bodily injury, panic attack, mention of murder/death, depression

ZARA

My house is dark and quiet as I sit on the living floor propped against the front door with a bottle of whiskey in my hand. The sound of crickets chirping outside seeps through the walls and into my ears. I'm not sure how long I've been here but I haven't been able to move. My entire body is in pain, my head is throbbing and my arm hurts.

Another swig of the whiskey burns when there's a knock at the door, which startles me. My head snaps the door and I put my ear to it before grabbing the gun from beside me. Who the fuck could this be at whatever time it is? There's another knock. 

"Zara," the voice is low but I know it's Harry.

What is he doing here?

"I know you're in there. Your car is outside. Open the door." I don't move from my spot. "I fixed my attitude. I didn't mean what I said. I'm sorry for being an asshole earlier."

"Go away, Harry," I yell through the door.

"You texted me and told me to come over."

What? When the hell did I do that?

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did, like an hour and a half ago."

"I don't remember doing that."

Slipping my phone out of my pocket, I unlock it and go to the texts. And there's Harry, the most recent conversation with me telling him to come over. Yeah, I definitely don't remember this.

"Then why would I be here?"

"You have a habit of just showing up."

He lets out a groan, "Come on, Zara. Just open the door and we can talk."

The metallic tang of blood permeates the air around me and I know that I'll have to get up soon and shower to remove it. Looking down at my appearance, I'm still in my bloodstained lavender suit and although I haven't looked in a mirror, I know my face and body are messed up. 

"I can't. I don't want you to see me like this."

"Why? What's the matter?" His tone is now concerned, "Are you hurt?"

When I don't respond, there's a light thud on the door followed by a heavy sigh. I adjust my body against the door and I must have done something wrong because a sharp pain shoots through my body and a sharp breath gets stuck in my throat.

"Owww," I cry out on the verge of tears.

I'm in so much pain that I can't even pinpoint where it's coming from.

"Zara, please?"

"Go home, Harry."

"If you're hurt, I can probably help you. What if you have to go to the hospital?" It's silent for a few seconds, "I'm not leaving until I know that you're okay."