MEMORIES

8 MONTHS AGO....
YOUNG BLOSSOM'S POV:

I wake up to Mother and father nudging me to wake up. "Blossom, hurry and get up! We have to leave!"  The worry and urgency in Mothers voice is a strange sound.

"What's wrong?" I ask. 

The next word Father says jerks me wide awake and makes my blood run cold.

"Poachers."

The three of us scramble out of the den and the smell of fox blood, human, and smoke blinds my sense of smell. I'm confused.

All around us are gunshots, fire, blood..... and bodies.  Black fox bodies.

A bullet whizzing past my ear, missing it by inches, jerks me from my thoughts and Father tells mother and me, "GO!" so we  run as fast as we can.

We run on for about five minutes through smoke and flames until out of nowhere a male poacher materializes from beside us and grabs ahold of Mothers neck.  We skid to a stop with our fangs bared.  

The poacher shouts something to its companions and draws a knife.  "Be careful Blossom" Father tells me. "Always" I reply, then  I launch myself at the poacher and grab hold his arm, Father does the same as Mother try's to free herself from the poachers grip. 

 The poacher lets out a shout of surprise and try's to throw me and Father off his arms and in the process throws Mother into a rock. Hard. She lays motionless on the ground.  

Anger fills me and i use my weight to jerk to the side and snap the poachers wrist and causing him to scream in distress.  Father lets go and runs to mothers side but i hang on.  

The poacher tries to fling me into a tree but I use the force of the blow and the tree to bounce back and land a killing blow to the poachers neck.  The body drops to the ground with a thud.  

When i reach Mother and Father, Mothers barely breathing.

"Oh Ivory" Father says as he touches noses with Mother.  Mother manages a weak smile and says " I'll be fine Asher, just take care of Blossom", Father just nods but i say, "You're coming with us, mum." Even though I know its not true.  "I wish i could Cherry-Blossom, but I cant." "Just listen to your father and be careful, you know ill be with you both every step." Mother says as the lights fade from her eyes.

"I love you mum," I say as i touch noses with her for the last time.  "Now GO!" Mother gasps to us, then she goes still and silent.  The tears well up in my eyes.

"We have to leave, Blossom." Father tells me.  We turn and run as we hear barking.  

Father's ears perk up at the sound and he tells me as we run, " If anything happens to me, promise you will live for all of us, Ok?"

"I'm not losing you, too." I tell him.  

"Just promise me, Cherry-Blossom, please." he says.

I pause for a moment and then reply, "I promise."