27 ~ C Major Scale

Azul sat at his desk, staring blankly ahead. He had a strange lack of work to do and had already patrolled the Mostro Lounge, completed his homework, and taken care of all of his housewarden duties.

He recalled the thought he'd had a few days ago. 'Maybe... I could try to play the piano?' It wasn't as though he had anything better to do, anyway.

When he reached the piano and sat down, though, was a different story. His foot hovered over the pedal and his hands rested on the keys, yet he felt paralyzed in that position.

His mind kept flashing back to his childhood, replaying scenes of the other mermaids who'd make fun of him for spewing ink and being slow, and how he'd swim back home as fast as he could, taking all of his negative thoughts and feelings out on the piano.

Yet the more he thought about it, the more he wondered why he was struggling so badly to just press a key. One key would be fine, even. Why was he so scared? Why were his hands shaking?

'If Yuu were here, she'd help me get over myself.'

But Yuu wasn't here, and this was something he had to do by himself. He needed to prove to himself that he had changed, because his biggest enemy, the only person who was constantly tearing down his self esteem, was himself.

He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, imagining Yuu was behind him, hovering her hand over his. Slowly, she pressed a bit of weight on his hand, and he obliged, pressing down on the key.

Plink.

One note. It was a C. Just one note. His fear hadn't completely dissipated as he hoped it would, yet he did it. He played a note.

A small smile grew on his face. He spread out his hand and fought back the anxiety building up inside of him, playing a single chord.

Next, he played a C major scale. It was the simplest scale and he didn't want to mess up over forgetting sharps and flats. He added both hands and repeated the scale, playing slowly and listening as the notes echoed off of the walls. He was making music. Not anyone else, him.

This was the first time he'd felt happy lately that didn't have to do with Yuu.

He moved his hands up, playing a D major scale. Up again. All until he reached C major once again, an octave higher than he'd started at.

Azul could do it. Azul could play the piano.

He stood, taking a step back. That was enough for today; his hands were shaking, but he'd done it. Even if it wasn't a lot, baby steps, right?

Carefully shutting the keyboard cover, he thought of what to do next with his free time, settling on heading back to his office and perhaps reading a few of the biographies he'd been meaning to check out.

Yet when he returned to his office, Yuu was laying on the couch, her phone held above her face. He felt a surge of happiness. He wanted to share his little victory with her.

"Hello, dearest," he greeted, swooping down next to her and planting a kiss on her cheek. He couldn't help but laugh as she dropped her phone on her face. She hadn't heard him come in.

"Azul!" She threw her arms around his shoulders. "I thought you'd be in your office. Did something come up?"

He shook his head, an excited, slightly childish smile forming on his face as he answered, "I played the piano."

Her eyes widened and she kissed him, which he happily reciprocated. "Azul, that's great! I'm so proud of you!"

"It does feel nice," he admitted. "I'm... proud of myself, as well."

She smiled at him and left a kiss on his cheek. "Azul, sweetie, you're doing amazing." Another kiss on his other cheek. "My adorable little Octoboy's all grown up~"

"And my lovely Seashell's as charming as always," he returned, bringing her hand to his mouth and kissing the heart in her ring.

Yuu returned to her seat on the couch, surprised when Azul sat next to her. "Are you taking a break?"

"I'm actually not very busy today," he responded in a pleased tone, tilting his head back and shutting his eyes. Yuu leaned her head onto his shoulder and intertwined their hands.

"Wait!" she suddenly exclaimed. "I actually came here for a reason!"

He opened his eyes halfway to look at her, and she continued, "Tomorrow we're gonna be watching the movie we made during club! I wanted to invite you."

"I'd love to come, but isn't this a club exclusive event?" His smile only widened as she excitedly shook her head; her enthusiasm was infectious. "We're allowed to invite people, so I wanted to bring you along!"

'You're so adorable.'

What if he verbalized the thought?

"Hm?" She stared at him questioningly. Letting out a small laugh, he told her that very sentence he had just thought moments ago, giving her a soft kiss and causing her cheeks to flush.

"I-Is that a yes, then?"

"It is," he replied, kissing her nose. "You're so perfect, my love."

She laughed as she pulled him close, nuzzling her face into his neck as they cuddled on the couch. "Sounds like you're in a good mood today~"

"I am," he whispered, "I love you, my dearest."

A/N: next update will be the final chapter! :]