Chapter 16: Unrepentant

As I walked out from the hallway, I saw that the front room and kitchen were practically empty. Though, I could see the tips of Ruby's ears while she was sitting on the couch, clicking through the channels like it was some sort of game. I tried to look around for my shirt, but I couldn't see it. One of them must've taken it... and considering who I saw it with last time... it honestly could've been any of them. I let out a small sigh as my shoulder demanded my attention with another painful throb. Instead of looking for my shirt, I thought I might as well try and put some ice on it, like Erika told me to. Lute and I... didn't take it easy... despite what we said earlier.

I stepped towards the couch and looked over, seeing Ruby pressing her paw on the remote to change the channels, but no ice pack. I turned my head to the only other spot it could've been taken to and started walking towards the fridge. I about reached for the handle with my right hand, but the pain made me stop and realize that I couldn't be using it as much. Begrudgingly, I lowered it and used my left hand instead. This was going to be a bigger pain than I thought it would.

"Dallin?" I jumped slightly as I pulled open their freezer, then turned my head to see Ruby looking at me over the couch. I looked back at the freezer long enough to find the ice pack and pull it out before closing the door and looking back at Ruby.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Ruby looked at the TV, then let out a small groan as she looked back at me.

"I'm bored, and there's nothing good on the TV right now."

"Is that so?" I asked, placing the ice pack on my shoulder. It stung for a moment, but after I got past the icy sting, it did start to help with the pain.

"Yeah. Though, in all honesty, I don't think I really need the TV considering everything that's happened in the family so far." Ruby looked at me with a smile, but then she seemed to remember something and looked at me frantically.

"Dallin! I know what Fang is!" I was caught off guard with how urgent she sounded. Though, with how childish she sounded, it was a little hard to take her seriously, but I was more confused than amused, and voiced my confusion.

"What are you talking about?" I asked. "She's an Imperial Sylveon."

"No! That's not what I meant!" Ruby responded. "She's a yandere!" That only made me look at Ruby even more confused.

"A what?"

"Ruby! I told you to stop reading my books without my permission!" I turned my head and saw Crystal walking in. When she saw me though, she stared for a while, then got a bit red in the face before turning away, trying hard to not look at me. Emphasis on the try part.

"H-Hey Dallin..." My mind went back to what happened earlier, and I found myself having a difficult time trying to stay composed as well.

"Crystal..." There was a couple seconds of an uncomfortable silence, then Ruby spoke up.

"I screamed I needed to see it, and it's a good reason I did!" Ruby said to Crystal. "Shu-Fang's a yandere!" I looked at Ruby, confusion returning at the unknown word.

"Okay, seriously, what's a yandere?"

"It's... not... good." Crystal admitted. I looked at Crystal, then she began after trying to look away again.

"A yandere... to put it simply... They're someone who's fixated with their lover, though... it's usually one-sided." Crystal said. I looked at Crystal confused.

"Isn't there already a word for that?" I asked. "You know, obsessed?" Crystal shook her head.

"There's more to it than that." Crystal replied. "The word itself is broken up by two words from Nihon culture. Yan, which came from Yaneru, meaning to be sick, and deredere, which means lovestruck... They give off an innocent and kind appearance to everyone around them-"