37 - The Untouchable Headmaster

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Taking a deep, regretful breath, I shakily raised my wand.

And on the night of Monday, June 30, 1997, I proved Harry Potter right.

******

Those fucking meddling kids! I had to throw some Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder in their faces in order for me to get the Death Eaters past them.

But they'd obviously called in for reinforcements because before we could reach the Astronomy Tower, we were set upon by some Aurors. Gibbon managed to escape up to the top of the Tower to set the Mark off, but when he came back down to rejoin the fight, he got in the way of a Killing Curse, the useless twat.

Luckily, no one was aiming for me, so I walked through the fight with ease and made my way towards the Astronomy Tower to wait for Dumbledore. But before I reached the top of the stairs, I could just about make out voices on the other side of the door.

Fuck. He was already there. And he wasn't alone.

Wand at the ready, I took a deep breath, thought of my mother, and kicked open the door with brute force.

"Expelliarmus!" I leapt through onto the Tower, shouting my Harry Special.

"Good evening, Draya." My headmaster said calmly as he remained stood against the ramparts, now disarmed thanks to my efforts.

I stepped forwards, glancing around quickly at the otherwise empty tower, confused. I could have sworn I heard talking. "Who else is here?"

"A question I might ask you. Or are you acting alone?"

I shifted my gaze back to Dumbledore, his pale face looked green beneath the glow of the Dark Mark.

"No," I said, trying to keep my voice steady despite the furious pounding of my heart. "I've got back-up. There are Death Eaters here in your school tonight."

"Well, well," Dumbledore said, as though I were simply showing him an ambitious homework project. "Very good indeed. You found a way to let them in, did you?"

"Yeah," I said, my voice panting with adrenalin and fear. "Right under your nose and you never realised!"

"Ingenious," Dumbledore praised. "Yet... forgive me... where are they now? You seem unsupported."

I raised my wand a little higher, glaring at the old man before me. "I came on ahead. I- I've got a job to do."

"Well, then, you must get on and do it, my dear girl," Dumbledore said softly.

There was silence. My arm began to shake - almost violently so - as I tried to bring myself to conjure up the Killing Curse. But I couldn't do it. I couldn't say the words even though I knew it would mean my death if I didn't. Dumbledore smiled at me.

"Draya, Draya, you are not a killer."

He was right, of course. And I knew, in that moment, that I would be too much of a coward to go through with it. And Dumbledore knew this too which is why he were acting as though we were simply up the top of the tower to do a bit of star gazing.

The bangs and shouts below grew louder. I could feel the panic inside me threatening to burst. I was trapped, and I had no idea what was going to happen next.

Dumbledore looked at me, waiting patiently.

"I have to do this." I whispered, my voice betraying my fear. "I have to kill you. Or he'll kill me-" I choked on the last word as a sob escaped my lips.

"Draya," Dumbledore said gently, "let me help you. Come over to the right side and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine. What is more, I can send members of the Order to your mother tonight to hide her likewise. Your father is safe in Azkaban... when the time comes we can protect him too... come over to the right side, Draya... you are not a killer."