2 - The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters

"What's wrong?" Mother asked me as I met her after my trip to Madam Malkins. "And don't drag your feet like that, you know how much your father disapproves of that."

My shoulders slumped heavily, I shrugged, not wanting to tell her about my failed attempt at making a new friend.

"Nothing." I lied.

How could I tell her that I was lonely? That more than that I was desperately afraid I wouldn't make any friends? Father was keen for me to choose the right kind of friends, constantly barking names at me of people on the 'approved' list.

"And whatever you do," he warned, his voice dangerous and low, "stay away from the Weasleys. They are nothing but filthy blood traitors."

"The Weasleys?" I asked, having never heard of the name in my life.

My father's lip curled. "You can't miss them. Red hair, freckles and more children than they can afford."

Damn, alright. Stay away from the Weasleys. Check.

"Oh, and if you can, try to get friendly with the Potter boy."

My eyes widened in surprise. "Harry Potter? But... why?"

"Because," Father snapped, "as someone who, amongst our kind, is regarded as the hero who made the Dark Lord disappear, it would be in our best interest to have him onside."

I waited for him to elaborate, but he did not. I was confused. Weren't we in favour of everything Voldemort had stood for? It was no secret, after all, that Father had once worked for him.

But you didn't argue with Lucius Malfoy, and so therefore, on that first day of Hogwarts, I was determined to make him proud.

Pansy squealed when she spotted me on the platform, pushing her way through the tightly packed crowds. I heard my father give a derisive groan as my mother hugged me harder, not wanting to let me go to my new life.

"Dray!" Pansy gushed as she ran up to us, dragging her trunk behind her. "Isn't this so exciting?! Oooo, I love what you've done to your hair!" Her cheeks glowing, she turned to face my parents. "Hello, Mr and Mrs Malfoy!"

A look of disdain flitted over my father's face and he stiffly looked away as though she hadn't said anything.

My mother, however, slowly let go of me, her smile tight as she regarded my friend. "Hello, Pansy. Are you looking forward to starting school?"

"Oh, immensely," Pansy beamed, her cheeks flushed as she enthusiastically nodded her head, "and don't you worry, I'll look after Dray. I've already lined up some friends for her to meet. They're saving a compartment for us on the train right now."

"Friends?" My father demanded, stunning us all by speaking. "Which friends?"

Pansy looked not in the least bit perturbed by being addressed in such a way by my father. "Oh, well- let's see... there's Daphne, Blaise, Theo-"

"Surnames," my father interrupted with an air of impatience.

This time, Pansy flushed. My mother, sensing her discomfort, quickly stepped in and answered for her. "Daphne will be the Greengrass's eldest daughter, and then there's Blaise Zabini and Theodore Nott."

"Also, Crabbe and Goyle," Pansy added, pulling herself together, "but I'm afraid I've only just met them and no other names were offered."

"Ah," my father said, visibly relaxing. "A true Slytherin crowd if I've ever heard one."

I hurried Pansy along after that, waving goodbye to my parents.

"Jeez, your father's a bit intense, isn't he?" Pansy whispered in my ear as we made our way down the train's corridor with our luggage.