12 - Dramatic Exits

The second task was such a fucking bore.

I mean, they literally let us waste an entire Saturday morning staring at a lake, freezing our tits off.

"I could have stayed in bed," I grumbled grouchily as Pansy and I moved closer to one another to keep warm. "My father will hear about this."

"Do you really think he'll do anything?" Pansy asked, shivering.

I shrugged. "I doubt Dumbledore even listens to him anymore. Probably uses his letters to make origami flowers and then gifts them to Potter."

Just then, Viktor sprang from the lake with Hermione in his arms and the stands erupted into loud cheers.

"Damn, they go on one date and suddenly Granger is the most important person in Krum's life?" I muttered. "Whatever."

I made a mental note to tear down that poster when I got home.

Next, a wailing Fleur reached the surface, crying about some Gabrielle.

And then Cedric surfaced with Cho Chang. Don't these guys love their mothers?

"Look, Potter has two hostages." Daphne pointed out as he, too, broke the water's surface. "What do you think that means?"

"That he's an egotistical show off, that's what." I gritted bitterly.

Didn't surprise me that Dumbledore winged him some 'hero' points, making sure that he wasn't last place where he actually belonged.

*****

I ummed and ahhhed over warning Harry about what Blaise told me. But then what would that achieve, exactly? It wasn't as though he could forfeit his place in the tournament.

And besides, as if he'd listen to a word I had to say.

But the guilt gnawed at me all the same. I mean, I didn't like that prick, but it didn't mean I wanted him dead. Who would I taunt during Quidditch?

So, when I happened upon him the week before the final task wandering down the third floor corridor looking agitated, I decided to just bite the bullet.

"Potter, there's something you need to know."

He stared at me, and then back over his shoulder.

I let out a derisive sigh. "Last time I checked you were the only Potter in school. Now are you going to listen to what I have to say or not?"

Harry continued to stare at me, his green eyes piercing mine with suspicion.

"In case you weren't in the know, Malfoy," he muttered dully, "I'm a bit preoccupied with preparing for the final task, and therefore don't have time for your pathetic games."

I tried to push down the rising tide of anger inside me.

"This is not a game," I gritted. "I've something of importance to share with you."

"Why?"

I blinked. "What do you mean, why?"

Looking around, he took a slow and deliberate step towards me. Almost instantly my pulse accelerated and my breathing intensified.

Slowly, he lowered his head so that his mouth was practically pressing against my ear. I could feel his hot breath and I found myself giving an involuntary shiver as I caught the musky scent of cologne.

"Read my lips, Malfoy," Harry hissed vehemently, "Piss. Off."

Something snapped inside of me, and I immediately lifted my hands to his chest, pushing him forcefully away from me.

He stumbled backwards, his eyes flashing behind his glasses.

"If you must know," I snarled, "I'm here to warn you that you need to watch your back."

"Oh, please," Harry scoffed, standing tall as he straightened out his robes. "Aren't we a little old for all of this? You're no more of a threat to me than Hagrid's stupid Flobberworms. But at least they have more use in life than you do."

I felt my face grow hot and I was intensely reminded of the time when he'd left me hanging on that first day of school.

"Fine," I shook, deciding that he could go and dig his own grave for all I cared. "Just don't come crying to me when the shit inevitably hits the fan. I tried to warn you, but of course Perfect Potter refuses to listen to any decent advice in the pathetic hope that your idiot Dumbledore will come to save the day. Well, good fucking luck."

Harry had a good few choice words to say to me as I wheeled on my heel and stalked off.

I was still shaking with fury by the time I reached the dungeons, and Blaise took one look at me and seemed to know exactly what I'd done.

"Oh for fuck's sake, Dray," he bellowed, jumping up from where he'd been chilling on the sofa, "what did I say about leaving Potter alone?"

But when I started to cry, he immediately softened and strode across the common room to embrace me in a fierce hug.

The truth was I was terrified. But for who, I did not really know.

******

Well, of course he fucking won.

And just to make sure his win was that little bit more dramatic, he showed up with not only the trophy but also a dead Hufflepuff in tow.

What a show off.

******

Cedric Diggory's death hit everyone hard in different ways.

For Amos Diggory, it meant the loss of his only child, his life broken into shattered pieces, never to be the same again.

For Cho Chang, it meant losing her boyfriend. A boyfriend with whom she'd lost her virginity to the night before. A boyfriend with whom she was falling in love with.

For Harry Potter, it meant living with the guilt that he survived and Cedric hadn't. But on the bright side, it nicely cleared the pathway to Cho Chang.

For Dumbledore, it meant one more bed freed up in the castle and a shit load of paperwork of which would remain shoved in his desk drawer to be ignored for the rest of time.

For Draya Malfoy, however, it meant the start of the fall for her family. A fall that would cause untold misery and irreparable damage. A fall that would eventually leave Draya in a very dark and lonely place indeed.

Only, she didn't quite know it yet.

******