-Chapter 4 -

It was early hours of the morning, the sun had barely risen over the horizon yet, but it didn't stop my insomnia from keeping me awake though. All I could do was lay here half-awake fiddling with the newly acquired engagement ring that was on my finger, it was soothing in some weird way, the smooth feeling of the silver ring against my skin. It felt surreal.

Peter was sound asleep with little snores leaving his lips now and then, it was cute, but I was jealous that he could sleep so peaceful without interruption whereas I can't get a full undisturbed night of sleep, it didn't matter if it was my insomnia or my newly forming worries about my job and the little life growing inside me.

I couldn't fall asleep.

I was worried about my job at 51 because it was obvious that it was a dangerous job in the first place but adding a pregnancy to the mix, it was even more worrying, I had to think of a compromise that will let me still work at the firehouse but not put me or baby in danger.

Then it hit me.

The ambulance, I could help Shay and Gabby out until it was time for me to go on leave, granted, it won't be for a few months but at least I was still a part of my second family at firehouse 51.

I only managed to fall asleep an hour before our alarm went off which made me groan in announce and put my pillow over my face in frustration, I wasn't in a good mood at all from not getting any sleep and my morning sickness had decided to kick in this morning so that made me spend a few minutes in the bathroom sat beside the toilet just waiting to throw up.

Peter)"You sure you're okay to work today?"

"For the last time, yes!"

I told him through gritted teeth as we were walking up to the firehouse for our shift today but before our shift, we decided to have a talk with chief about me moving to ambulance for a little while, soon as we entered the bay where we keep all the trucks and ambulance were kept only to get by Squad that was sat at their table. We almost made it past the kitchen but was stopped by Hermann calling Peter to get breakfast cooking as everyone was hungry, so I gave him a quick kiss before telling him to go and feed the masses then went off to Chief's office. Luckily, he was in there doing some paperwork, so I didn't have to go and find him.

Knocking once before getting a "come in" I shut the door behind me before taking a seat in front of him now feeling a bit nervous on talking about personal things with him although I had been working at 51 for a few years now and not once did I talk directly to Boden about personal matters, I was about to explain everything when the office door opened an in came Peter slightly out of breath from rushing to cook breakfast for everyone as he wanted to be here for this which made a greatful smile slip onto my face as he sat in the chair next to mine.

"Chief, we've known each other for a while now and not once have I asked anything of you, so I um we were wondering if I could be transferred to ambulance for a while"

Boden)"You want to transfer from Squad to ambulance am I correct? Why would you want that?"

"Let's just say that in about 9 months' time there will be a mini firefighter in house" 

A look of realization soon crossed over his face once it clicked on what I meant by it, a big smile crossed his face before he congratulated us on the baby then told me that he'll put in the paperwork today for my transfer to ambulance also that I could work with Shay and Gabby today, I was really relieved and happy that he agreed.

I slipped my hand into Peter's intertwining our fingers as we walked back to the kitchen because I wanted to snag myself some pancakes before they all went, once I've got my pancakes and sat in my seat I always sit in the P.A system went off calling squad and Truck out on a call so I quickly kiss Pete on the cheek before he ran off outside, Shay and Gabby only looked at me expecting me to also quickly get up and go but never did.

Shay)"Aren't you going with Squad?"

"Not today ladies, I'm with you for the next few months until I can get leave"

This spiked their curiosity so they move from their seats to sit next me on either side of me while I ate happily, they both kept asking questions so in the end I let out a sigh and told them about the baby which made them both so happy for me and Peter, immediately asking when we all could go baby shopping although I'm only a few weeks along. It was a rather clam day for the ambulance, but I can't say the same for Squad or Truck as they've been called out multiple time throughout the day, so much so that they haven't had time to eat properly all day.

When the shift had finally done me, and Pete popped into his mom's diner for dinner also to see how they were today afterwards we went home for a well needed rest, who knew it would be exhausting work being pregnant? I barely did much all day but I'm still exhausted.