"Bad day?" He asks, focusing his blue eyes on me.
"Shut up" I say, and lean in to kiss him, he places his hands on my bottom and deepens the kiss. I let my hips press against him, as I kiss him roughly, ready to take it further right here and now- but he stops me, and pulls back.

"What?" I ask, knitting my brows and giving him a displeased look.
"Your father, we can't risk it."

I let out a sigh and push myself off of him. So much for being a fearless fighter and assassin.
"Don't be like that babe, I'm just not ready to die at the age of twenty four." He defends himself, and I roll my eyes. "Don't call me babe"
Babe is personal, it makes it seem like we're dating. We're not.

Before he has the chance to answer, the door opens and Daniel walks in.
"Walker, come down." He shouts, "your father wants you."
"I'm coming" I yell back, and gather my stuff, ignoring Sebastian in the background telling me to meet up later. As if. He ruined the mood already, all I see is someone who's afraid of my father, someone who can't protect me or stand up for me if needed.

I walk to Daniel, and we start making our way to the meeting room.
"Did you shag him?"
"No, I didn't, and please find a better word. I hate that word." I answer, It sounds so harsh and dirty.
"I think he's in love with you" Daniel speaks again, telling me the same thing for the fourth time. "He literally stopped messing with vanessa the second you looked at him."
"Yeah?" I say, "he's more in love with my father so I don't really give a shit who he messes with."

I open the door and enter the meeting room. My father is sitting at the head of the table, while the rest of the crew is seated down the table. My seat is on fathers right side, while the second best assassin Eight is seated on the right. While I prefer to go by names, the other assassins like to go by numbers, which I still find weird but each to their taste I guess.

I sit down next to father, and a minute later, Sebastian enters the room and takes a seat.

"We're all gathered here to go over the new list, and so you all can get your assigned area." Father starts, "last year you did a great job, all our partners were quite happy."
Wow, he's actually being nice for once and not craving more than perfection itself.
"This year I want you to be even better." Spoken too soon.

He throws me a quick glance, "I need you to be fully focused on your missions."
Really dad? Petty move.

He keeps talking and I zone out, just hand us the damn papers already.

"And nineteen, you'll be in shanghai."
I wait in excitement, twenty is my number and that means my turn is next. I'm hoping for Colombia this time, I've always wanted to visit and even if it's for the wrong reasons now, it'll still be a reason to visit.

"Amalie," He looks at me with a grin, "you'll be in New York."
What the fuck did he just say. I open my mouth, ready to protest but he speaks up before I have the chance, "the meeting is over, everyone back to training."
I keep seated and wait until everyone is out of the room except me, dad and Daniel.

"What the hell father?" I say, turning around and facing him.
"Language!" He snaps, ignoring my point and focusing on something stupid.
"We never agreed on New York, why are you sending me there instead of seven? He's the always on that base, he knows it better."
"I'm giving you a chance to fix your mistake from the ball." He answers shortly, and I want to pull my hair out.

"Look," he pours himself a glass of scotch, "you go to New York each year either way, and there's some people there I need you to keep your eyes on. You can use this as the perfect opportunity to prove that you're responsible and flexible enough to be a leader. That you fix your mistakes and don't just brush them away."

I shake my head, this is absurd, I've proven myself more than enough, but nothing is perfect for him. I can't go to New York, once I'm there I'll run into them. If I don't, then father will make sure I do. He needs to keep everything and everyone under control.

"Fa-"
"Amalie, if you don't want this then someone else can take over but then you'll be completely out. No more missions." He says, with blank eyes and no care in the world. It doesn't matter what I want or not, he's the one in charge.
I shake away my frustration and anger, "No one is going to take my place, i'll do it."
He gives me a satisfied smirk, "Daniel will be joining you with the crew, I've already had someone find an apartment for them. Do you need me to find you a place too?"

*FLASHBACK*

"This is your apartment?" I say to my best friend as I enter, "not bad for someone who works at a café when they're almost a surgeon."

The apartment is way bigger than last time she showed me. Although there's only two bedrooms, it has a big kitchen connected to a cozy living room. The windows cover almost the entire wall, and I can only imagine how nice the pink sky looks through them.

She sighs, and a tear falls down her eyes as she bites her lip.
"It was smaller, but he renovated it after the fire." I walk over to her and hold her,
"Oh baby. It's going to be fine, I promise" I say as she cries in my arms,
"I miss him, s-so m-much." She sobs, "I just don't understand why he d-did that, how he could let me go so e-easily."

I rub her back and hold her tighter. If only she knew that he's the reason I'm here.
Her boyfriend broke her heart, and although I'm not his biggest fan and do want to murder him for hurting her this much, I also know that he loves her more than anything. The only reason he let her go, was because he didn't want to put her in danger but knowing Luna, she'd enter danger without a second thought if it meant saving the people she cares about.

"I know baby, just cry it out. Let it all out, and I promise it'll be better"
I had no doubt it would, he may say that he let her go but I know how much he adores her, she's his entire life, there's no chance of him not coming back for her. He even contacted me, and we're far away from being friends but he needed to know that Luna wasn't going to be alone. It took me years, but I finally found Xander Romero's one and only weakness, his angel. My best friend, Luna.

If I didn't believe in their love, I would've told her a long time ago about the war he started with my father, and how it caused her pain before she even met him. She lost her first patient thanks to their dirty games, but he's also the reason she overcame her fears and went back to pursue her dream. In one way, he made up for his mistakes.

"I'm not going anywhere, I promise." I say, cuddling her in the same apartment that would end up being one of the few last things I had as a reminder of her.

*FLASHBACK ENDS*

"No, I have a place."

//
I know its sad with the flashbacks off Luna and Xander but they connect the story, and ftr that haven't read the first book in the series need it to understand the story. I'm sorry🥹 I hope you're liking Bruno's book so far💘 -Red

I miss my babies tho, i'm literally hungover on Xander and Luna.