7 - Even Morgoth Desired Her

Start from the beginning

"Luthien!" a voice roared.
Griff cut their distance and pulled her into a choking hug, sobbing on her shoulder.
She laughed and cried, hugging him back, the joy overcoming the physical pain.
"You're hurt" she said noticing his hiss of pain when she let him go.
"Just a broken arm. Others have been less fortunate. All that matters is that you're alive, little sister" he pressed a kiss on her forehead.
"We need to go back to Pelargir. There are not enough healers here" she said with urgency and turned to watch as Halbrand was carried in a tent.
"I'm glad to see that your friend made it too".
She looked at her brother sharply "He saved my life. He did anything to take me out of that hell when all I wanted was to give up. Now we need to help him".

She marched into the tent to see how Bronwyn examinated the wounds and tried to clean them

Halbrand passed out, but the pain woke him up regularly.
Luthien sat next to his bed and squeezed his hand, suffering with him.

"I'm sorry. There's nothing more I can do" Bronwyn said with deep sadness after hours of tending at him.
"It's alright. I'm grateful. There are other injured that need your help now more than me" Halbrand said nodding to the agonising people that were heard crying in the camp.
Bronwyn excused herself again and left him.

"You need to come to Pelargir. There must be some medicine that can help you heal" Luthien said helping him drink some fresh water. Her thumb wiped the drops that fell from the corner of his mouth as she felt uncomfortable under the intensity of his gaze.
"You already are the best medicine I can hope for. As long as you don't leave me".
She bowed her head on his hand and kissed it "I'll never leave you, Halbrand. Promise me the same. That you can rest, but you'll come back to me".
He nodded weakly "I'll always want to come back to you. I'll do my best to keep this promise".
"Good" she said simply, struggling not to fall into despair.

Time passed but he didn't improve, and the wound soured

"You need proper rest, Luthien. You can't stay here when you need to recover too" Griff told her softly when he found her spending the night by the bed, resting her head by Halbrand's side.
"I'm not leaving him. I told you, he saved my life" she rejecyed his hands that tried to pull her away.
"He's right. You need to lay down" Halbrand said, surprising her when she believed he was asleep "I'm not going anywhere".
"Thank you for saving her, Lord Halbrand" Griff said with a bow of his head.
"We saved each other" Halbrand said dismissively.
"If I lay down, the pain won't let me stand up anymore" Luthien hissed to her brother "I'll rest properly when this damned ache dulls a bit".
Griff clenched his jaw and didn't insist. He complainee under his breath as he left the tent "Stubborn as always".
Halbrand chuckled weakly "Our roles should be inverted. Broken bones are worse than flesh wounds. I should be the one watching over you".
"We watch over each other" she said trying to imitate his tone and it made her both chuckle.