How Are Lucid Dreams Studied?

Spontaneous lucid dreams are rare and difficult to foresee. To study these phenomena, researchers typically using different methods. Some of the most common techniques include the following:

Reality testing:This technique requires participants to perform tests throughout the day that differentiate sleep and waking. For example, a participant may ask themselves whether or not they are dreaming during the day; since self-awareness is not possible during non-lucid dreams, being able to answer this question proves they are in fact awake. Reality testing is based on the notion that repeated tests will eventually seep into the participant's dreams, allowing them to achieve lucidity and distinguish between the dream state and waking.

Mnemonic induction of lucid dreams (MILD): This technique involves training oneself to recognize the difference between dreams and reality during sleep. Subjects wake up after a period of sleeping and repeat a variation of the following phrase: "Next time I'm asleep, I'll remember I'm dreaming." Researchers will induce lucid dreams using the MILD method by waking up subjects after five hours of sleep.

Wake back to bed (WBTB): Some people can induce lucid dreams using this technique, which involves and then returning to sleep after a certain amount of time has passed. WBTB is often used in conjunction with the MILD technique. When these two methods are used together, the most effective length of time between waking up and returning to sleep appears to be 30 to 120 minutes.

External stimulation: This technique involves flashing lights and other stimuli that are activated while the subject is in REM sleep. The rationale behind this method is that the sleeper will incorporate this stimuli into their dreams, triggering lucidity in the process.

Additionally, some studies have involved inducing lucid dreams using certain types of drugs and supplements.

Once a subject has fallen asleep, researchers can measure levels of activity in the prefrontal cortex and other areas of the brain using a device known as an electroencephalogram (EEG), during which metal discs are attached to the subject's scalp. 

An electrooculogram (EOG) may also be used to track eye movements to determine when the subject enters REM sleep. For some studies, subjects are asked to make specific eye movements while sleeping to signal they are having a lucid dream. EOGs are particularly helpful for detecting these movements.