//Life Blood//

"It doesn't bite, right? "

Tacey smoothed out the black hem of her gown subconsciously, maintaining eye contact with Oliver. She was surrounded by delicately dressed men and women, all of which either spun in each other's embrace or stopped and stared at the monstrosity standing next to her father.

He was fitted dashingly in a straight black suit and a white tie, his auburn hair slicked back and his face shaven. He was smiling grandly, leaning slightly toward the seven foot tall thing beside him, letting his lukewarm brown eyes wander across it's black skin.

The chandeliers above the three of them illuminated the uncomfortable expression Tacey wore, fumbling with her white gloves as she assessed the mass of dead bodies formed into a single beast.

It reeked of dryed blood, small chunks of flesh disappearing inside the blob resembling hair on its head and reappearing moments later in another location on its body. It pulsed as Tacey watched, like it's entire body was nothing but a heartbeat. It was lean but not skinny, filling in it's clothing the same way a human would, if only slightly loose. It wore a dress shirt but no pants, finishing with smart and pointed black formal shoes with a golden buckle.
The gaping holes in its face replaced it's eyes, curving into a confused expression the longer it allowed her to examine it harshly.

It shifted, flicking it's gaze to Oliver to mock his movements, reaching up to fix it's yellow tie and straighten out it's cuffs.

Tacey ran her eyes over it's figure again, unsure whether she wanted to comprehend it at all.

Oliver scoffed, reaching over to run a knuckle over the monster's face,

"With what mouth? " he mused, reveling in the smoothness of his creation's 'skin'.

It indeed had no mouth, simply a blank and even slate where it was meant to be. It could only express itself through it's eyes, which had by now returned to their neutral and wide resting position.

Oliver glanced at his daughter, smiling once more,

"Say, why don't you go and get a drink for him? Hm? "

Tacey gaped, at a loss for words. Her eyes shot to the monster, who was staring intently at her in piqued interest. She grabbed the skirt of her dress and pulled it up slightly, just enough to stomp and yell at her father,

"GRAB IT A DRINK? Are you 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘢𝘯𝘦? This thing can't even open it's mouth- this 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 it's... It's DISGUSTING and you want me to go SNATCH IT A DRINK? "

Oliver's face didn't change, remaining as frighteningly happy as it had been since this morning. He waved at the party being held around them with an open palm, cocking his head at Tacey and tsking.

"This entire ball is being sponsored by the king and queen, all for the incredible revelation that is Nine. If it weren't for him, neither of us would be at the point we are now, darling. At the very least, make him feel welcome. "

" 𝘕𝘪𝘯𝘦? 'Nine' has done nothing for us, we're still dead broke living in a shack beside the old cotton factory. I have nothing to welcome him for. "

Oliver shook his head, stepping behind Nine and reaching for his arms, swinging them about as one would with a stuffed animal.

"Nine has done so much more for us than you'll ever realize. "

"You're crazy. " Tacey spat, slapping her father's hands away from Nine's arms.

She turned and grabbed a cup of red wine from a passing waiter's tray, shoving it into Nine's confused hands and spinning around. She held her skirt up as she walked away, immediately accepting an invitation to dance and scurrying off.

Oliver pouted, raising an eyebrow up at Nine,

"She'll come around, she always does. "

He folded his arms behind his back formally, pleased to see Nine doing the same through the corner of his eye, and started forward, smiling a greeting to a group of stout men gathered around a round table. They each wore round glasses high on their faces, turning to face an approaching Oliver with giant buggy eyes filled with glee.

"Doctor! " The first man exclaimed, standing and wobbling over to meet Oliver in the middle. They firmly shook hands, exchanging greetings before the other three men built up the courage to do the same.

Nine was all but invisible to them as they led Oliver back to their table, pulling up a new chair for him to sit in. Nine stood behind the large golden and rose seat, hands still folded behind his back and his face placid. He watched them pull out wads of money, setting it on the table before them and shifting their attention from Oliver to Nine and back.

"So, Oliver. I've known you for ten years now. " An old man with a pointed beard said, tapping his stack of 100s. " You know me, and I know you. I like to think our friendship runs deep. "

"He's not being sold. " Oliver grinned, leaning back in his seat to look up into Nine's eyes, "it took me thirty years to finally succeed in creating him, and you really think I'll just give him to you? You make a fool of me. "

All the men dragged their cash across the table and back into their pocket, visible disappointment crossing their expression. But it only lasted for a second, before another spoke up,

" What do you plan to do with him?"

Oliver tapped a finger on the polished wood of the table, his smile vanished. His voice was deep and conversation ending, border line seething with mirth, "stick with me boys, you'll see. "

Nine picked up on the social cue much faster than the startled men did, stepping aside to let his master push back his chair and stand. Henry sputtered, motioning at the chair in exasperation,

"Why-why are you leaving already? We just sat down? "

Oliver readjusted his cuffs and began walking, Nine doing the same, scanning the room for a missing Tacey, "Yes, I'm afraid I have some larger business to attend to, sirs. I 𝘢𝘥𝘷𝘪𝘴𝘦 you to take the opportunity to get home early. "

Oliver danced around crowds of townspeople,swooping and stepping aside until the center of the ballroom was in view decorated in bright rose gold tiles arranged in a wide circle. Two thrones sat amidst the party, housing the hosts in their glory.

He watched Tacey run out into the courtyard with a man in tow, stopping in the center of the room to face the king and queen with a respectful bow. They grinned approvingly at him and Nine, albeit warily, standing to step off their thrones with outstretched hands to greet them with awards.

Oliver flashed his gun, shooting the queen dead between her eyes.

The ballroom exploded into chaos.