Chapter Fifty-Nine: The First Deployment

Start from the beginning

He wasn't getting in the way at all and Adeline would not have come if it was going to cause any issues, the key to the privacy that they had was being discrete in what they were doing. 

Not that it was always easy, Adeline doubted it ever would be especially given the fact that the press would happily jump on any news story that regarded the royals. 

Simon nodded his head slowly, he didn't have to guess what thing Harry might have that kept him busy the night before they were deployed. 

If anything, Simon at least hoped that he was spending some time with Chelsy before they left; he couldn't imagine that Miss Daly would be too thrilled if Harry was out with his mates again when he should be with her.

 "I wanted to spend some time with my boyfriend before he ships out for ten long weeks," Adeline said shrugging her shoulders, she knew that because their relationship was still technically a secret that communication over the next few weeks would be hard. 

It would be February before she saw him again at the latest especially given the fact that she wasn't supposed to be coming back to London around that time. 

Easter was normally spent in Windsor and it was the only other option there for them at this time without cutting into her studies unless Simon planned a trip to Chester to visit her. 

Simon smiled at that and moved closer to Adeline, he was happy to see her and a little relieved that she had come; it did suck that they couldn't be more open about their relationship. 

He didn't blame her at all for wanting to keep things quiet, he had seen how the press treated those in the inner circle of the royals and he wasn't looking forward to telling Harry that he was dating his sister. 

He kissed Adeline drawing her close as he did so, his hands moving to rest on her hips while hers where thrown around his neck pulling him close. 

His fingertips pressing under her top and drawing gentle circles against the small strip of bare skin that was revealed there. 

Adeline gasped pulling back slightly to look up at Simon, a slight blush on her face as she looked at him; her blue eyes darkened slightly and Simon looked looking into them when he had the chance to. 

He loved the shade of blue that they were, he didn't think he'd seen that colour anywhere else even if that did sound silly to say. 

"Are you two going to be making out all night? Or should I order us some pizza?" Lucy called making Simon and Adeline laugh as they stepped apart not wanting to make things awkward for her. 

Despite Lucy being rather understanding of her friend dating her brother, she preferred not to be around them when they were being all sappy and making out with one another. 

***

"I guess I'll see you in ten weeks," Adeline said quietly as Simon walked her to the door, it was getting late and he had an early start in the morning then there was the fact that her security was still stationed outside waiting for her. 

It made Adeline uncomfortable to think that they had to sit outside all night, she knew that the protection officers could only do so much while she was here and she didn't want to make their job harder than necessary. 

"See you in ten weeks," Simon replied awkwardly, he walked towards the front door knowing that the next few weeks were not going to be easy and he was determined to actually do his part. 

The last thing that he wanted was to be trapped in the bunker with Harry for ten long weeks, he had worked hard for this moment and it was all finally coming into place. 

"Please be careful," Adeline pleaded with him, she paused at the front door and looked at Simon; she didn't want this to be the last time that they saw one another. 

She wasn't sure she could handle losing him at war, she could see a future with him and she didn't want that ripped away from her. 

There had been enough loss in her life before now, now she wanted happiness and she wanted to find the right person to spend the rest of her life with and she felt like that was Simon. 

Simon paused and looked at Adeline, his eyes searching her face for a moment before he stepped closer to her; pressing his lips to her own as her hands moved to hold into the front of his jumper. 

It was a couple of minutes before the two of them pulled apart, their foreheads resting against one another as they tried to gather their breath. 

"I love you Adeline Mountbatten-Windsor, nothing in this world will ever change that," Simon whispered to her softly, his eyes opening to look at her and his hands moving to cup her face. 

His thumbs brushing against her cheeks as he searched her face knowing that he was more than certain about how he felt for her. 

"I love you too," Adeline whispered back, not daring to raise her voice and break this moment; it was almost perfect and she would hold into it for the rest of her life. 

Slowly and reluctantly the couple parted, Simon moving to open the door and wave to the security that was outside to take Adeline home; his heart aching and he prayed that this wasn't the last time that he saw her. 

Collecting her coat, Adeline gave Simon one final kiss before she stepped out into the cold December night.